Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late November Tactics

whitetail_obsession

It's been a tough season for me so far. Lots of deer but nothing within my comfortable range that I wanted to shoot. I know lots of guys have success in late November but my streak of not shooting a big buck after the first week of November is unfortunately still intact. I don't expect a flurry of activity but I know guys say they see some real big deer this time of year. What strategies have those who have been successful this time of year used? I have access to some private but not much and with all the crops being gone there's not much for remaining cover on those properties and access would be tricky now. Therefore I'm going to grind it out these last couple of days and see if I can run into one I'd be happy with on public. I thought 24 November sits would do the trick but not yet. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on tricks/setups for this time of year.

I hunt downwind of known bedding areas as bucks will be slowly moseying about looking for one last "date". A lot of times they will saunter right on in with a grunt call. Don't be discouraged by not seeing lots of deer, but the chances that the ones that you see will be a nice buck are pretty good.

I hunt downwind of known bedding areas as bucks will be slowly moseying about looking for one last "date". A lot of times they will saunter right on in with a grunt call. Don't be discouraged by not seeing lots of deer, but the chances that the ones that you see will be a nice buck are pretty good.
Is mid-day (10-2) worth hunting much anymore or should the focus be on mornings or evenings?

Is mid-day (10-2) worth hunting much anymore or should the focus be on mornings or evenings?
I should have said this in my first post, but any time is a good time at this stage. Although there won't likely be many deer on their feet in midday, that time period is as good an any other time in this phase IMO. Actually, for me, I would more likely hunt 10 to dusk than daybreak at this stage.

Long, long before I had ever read of such a thing I remember seeing a nice buck out walking, cruising if you will, and the noon whistle blew. People didn't believe me when I told them that I saw a nice buck out walking around at that time. Back then, many people operated under the notion that deer only moved early and late in the day...if you wanted to get some midday action you had to bump them, etc.

Again, don't be surprised to see nothing or just one...but the one that you will see is likely to be the one that you want.

I like the rut less every year!!!
Get closer to food. Be in early for PM hunts. Stay late on AM hunts.
Probably get a little closer to food in evenings as that starts taking priority again for the does that have been hiding for last 2 weeks.
I think late Nov is great. Hit or miss. Some of it is mental “this hunt could be boring”. & when it is- not getting discouraged. Keep going. It’s still good. I had a 5-6 year old under me last night (didn’t wanna shoot)…. Was “slow” & thought I’d be seeing little. Then does ran & the dude was at 5 yards. Changes in a heartbeat of course. Most guys have given up and been chewed up & spit out by the rut. Don’t be that guy. ;)

Sligh1 says: "Probably get a little closer to food in evenings as that starts taking priority again for the does"

And the big boys. They've been run ragged for the past three weeks. They're going to be hitting food hard ... plots, mast, whatever.

This time of year I like to pull back a bit and give properties a break right or wrong, as that might be. Instead I like to do some scouting and glassing, I agree with those above, food is becoming a big priority again. Seen a nice buck, hogging down on some radishes a couple nights ago. Winter is coming and the bucks run down, so time to try to recover for winter time.

I'm ready to pull the equalizer(A 450) out of the closet in about 10 days. I love bow hunting, but was raised on gun hunting. Gotta love it. Look forward to it every year, if I can keep the morons at bay, I generally have a pretty good gun season.

Top Bottom