Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late season antlerless hunters???

There was 820 shed bucks reported last sunday night at 9pm.Now there is 1405.So..585 shed bucks killed so far on 6 days of the Jan.antlerless season.

There was 820 shed bucks reported last sunday night at 9pm.Now there is 1405.So..585 shed bucks killed so far on 6 days of the Jan.antlerless season.

A lot of people report their shed bucks as does though so they can keep their precious rifle season

May be hard pressed to find any numbers of good bucks here in the next couple of years. On a lighter note, Iowa will be off the radar as a big buck state and the NR lobbyists will be off our backs.

Time to buy an Illinois tag again

Group that I helped yesterday, out of 6 deer, I saw 2 that were shed bucks. I did no shooting, just helped drag and collect.

I shot a bambi doe on Saturday. It was the only deer that came out of the woods so I scoped it for a long time to make sure it wasn't a buck. It was too small to be a shed buck, but I was worried it was a button buck. Nope, just a dumb doe.

Below is what I wrote on another post. ALSO- I don't think the guys on here will shoot very many shed bucks. It's the masses of "average" guys that are going to do that- majority of folks out there who just go out for a "weekend of shooting". Especially if it's with a group and they do drives. Bucks are going to get shot left and right that have dropped. It's the timing of the season that is so messed up. A buck makes it all the way from bow, through 2 shotgun seasons, all of late muzzleloader season to get bigger next year BUT ends up getting killed by a doe hunter wanting meat. What a bummer!!
FROM 2 DAYS AGO:
"Went out TODAY for late antlerless. Yes, I'm on the side of getting rid of this season. I'm about as paranoid a person as they come on NOT shooting shed bucks or button bucks (never in my whole life so far) BUT we all know I'm in the far far far MINORITY with how paranoid I am. It was me and ONE buddy, not a group shooting at herds of deer running past.
1st 10 minutes walking out I found a shed! Right on a deer trail in snow, 4 year old buck, nice 8 point.
Had groups of deer come past through out the day, 3 shed bucks, probably 4-6 button bucks, 2 half rack bucks, about 6 full rack bucks and about 12-15 does. Shot 2 big does. It was a TASK to glass them and be certain any bit over 50 yards. I'm willing to do it, I'm paranoid and careful BUT the average GROUP?!?!? Wow, I can understand how so many shed bucks and button bucks get shot (I'd guess 8 deer were shed bucks or button bucks out of around maybe 25-ish deer). The season needs to dissappear!!! "

I talked to a group that was hunting public ground last week. They killed 3 deer their first hunt. All three were button bucks! This season is worthless. Please email the DNR.

I talked to a group that was hunting public ground last week. They killed 3 deer their first hunt. All three were button bucks! This season is worthless. Please email the DNR.

button bucks can get shot during any season. I don't see how that makes late season antlerless worthless.

button bucks can get shot during any season. I don't see how that makes late season antlerless worthless.

Well, where do I start. Lets see, its a long range weapon season which gives most hunters little opportunity to be sure of what they are shooting. Many shed bucks and button bucks are killed. They are wiping out the deer on public lands when they are most vulnerable. Many hunters come from other counties that really dont care about what or where they shoot. And the list goes on.

Yes, button bucks do get killed during other seasons. Why have a special late season that really puts them at risk? Just look at the numbers.

That is why its worthless.:(

Just look at the numbers.
Lets say they did remove the late season, but the quota of deer to be harvested remains the same (as they did this year most of the northern counties). The % of button bucks and sheds harvested will most likely be the same. Anybody got access to the data so we could compare?

Shooting a doe potentially takes a future buck out of the picture also and reduces the herd size so really your going to loose a buck no matter how you look at it.

I like the late season, it gives me something to do to help get through the long winter months.

Last edited:
Shooting a doe potentially takes a future buck out of the picture also and reduces the herd size so really your going to loose a buck no matter how you look at it.

Your argument doesnt really hold water, last time I checked you cant kill something that doesnt exist, so why dont we concentrate on the deer that arent imaginary and try to take care of them as well as we can, so our deer herd gets back to the way we all would like it?????

Wow,its pretty sad to see all of those shed bucks being shot. The problem with the late season is that the mature bucks become more vulnerable since they are concentrated at food sources. I think the DNR will remove that season. At least I hope they do.

Lets say they did remove the late season, but the quota of deer to be harvested remains the same (as they did this year most of the northern counties). The % of button bucks and sheds harvested will most likely be the same. Anybody got access to the data so we could compare?

I like the late season, it gives me something to do to help get through the long winter months.

Top 10 things to do to help get through the winter without shooting shed bucks.

10. Go ice fishing
9. Learn to speak Portuguese
8. Learn to play the guitar
7. Try knitting
6. Waste time on the computer
5. Look for sheds
4. Hang stands and trim lanes for next year
3. Trim your toe nails
2. Paint flames on your moped

1. Learn what marks antlers make in the snow

OK, I'll risk getting bashed here, but how many shed bucks are really killed during this hunt? Why aren't you also complaining about the antlered bucks that have been shot? And how many of them are YOUR buck? When I do the math, the number is insignificant. That said, I know many of you think one is too many and I have openly said I am glad we don't have that season in MY area. I have also openly said I am glad we don't have the November doe hunt in MY area. What I don't see are many replies to Chris's Micro Deer Management Discussion. What are your thoughts? Solutions? Statewide or YOUR area? I have several thoughts and they do not necessarily agree with the couple replies to that thread, so far. You can count on my opinions making it to that thread. How about yours?

Click here. http://www.iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32986

Well, where do I start. Lets see, its a long range weapon season which gives most hunters little opportunity to be sure of what they are shooting. Many shed bucks and button bucks are killed. They are wiping out the deer on public lands when they are most vulnerable. Many hunters come from other counties that really dont care about what or where they shoot. And the list goes on.

Yes, button bucks do get killed during other seasons. Why have a special late season that really puts them at risk? Just look at the numbers.

That is why its worthless.:(
very well put they had already made it through the gun barrage now you have the extra season were you know a bunch are going to get wiped out. I wanna know who's in charge of mandating these seasons are they that ignorant to not know that they are decimating are deer herd the only real good hunting resource we have left man wake up!

Top 10 things to do to help get through the winter without shooting shed bucks.

10. Go ice fishing
9. Learn to speak Portuguese
8. Learn to play the guitar
7. Try knitting
6. Waste time on the computer
5. Look for sheds
4. Hang stands and trim lanes for next year
3. Trim your toe nails
2. Paint flames on your moped

1. Learn what marks antlers make in the snow
Thats funny

Comment from Bill Winke

I asked Bill Winke from Midwest Whitetail, He seems to agree with alot of us.We need to let the DNR know this season is a bad idea.I actually live in Missouri but own 400acres in central Iowa. Its a big concern for alot of folks so lets do our part to end the season.

Steve from MO asks:
Hi Bill. Great shows this past year. Keep up the good work. My question is, how do you feel about the late rifle season and all the shed bucks that have been killed. Last I checked, it was around 1200+. I feel it is detrimental to the future of trophy bucks in Iowa since its the most vulnerable time for mature bucks since they are concentrated on food. What are your thoughts. Take care, Steve

Winke Responds:
Steve, I think that season is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. How about that for not mincing my words? For all the reasons you state. If you will complain they will listen. They will have excuses, but they will listen.

It wasn't worthless to me.

I had a tough year in 2009 and after giving my second season doe to a friend I was in real need of some venison so I bought a $12.00 Clayton county doe tag and went and shot myself a DOE on public ground. :way:

Don't like the late antlerless season, never have, never will, I feel we have plenty of time to harvest plenty of deer with out doing it at a time that makes shed bucks vulnerable.

That being said...like Skip I do hunt to at least fill my LOT tag and like him I'm pretty darn careful. I laid on the frozen ground for an hour watching a field full of deer before two fawns came out. The kept peering over their shoulders and finally the doe stepped out of the switchgrass.

I was able to clearly see her head at 150 yards and dropped her with my .280

01-19-10Doe.jpg

I can tell you this much, I have a top end scope and binocs and a Nikon 800 range finder so no guessing on how far they are. At 200 yards it is extremely tough to tell for certain and it's not easy at less so I wait for the least likely scenario that might allow me to make a mistake.

99% of hunters probably don't hunt like that and then they complain when they don't see mature bucks the next fall...:(

Tips to Avoid Shooting a Shed Antler Buck

The goal of the January antlerless deer hunting season is to harvest does in select areas of the state. Hunters can reduce the number of shed antler bucks killed by following a few guidelines.

Wait for deer traveling in family groups [does and fawns], and do not shoot an antlerless deer that is alone.

This time of year, bucks may be traveling in small bachelor groups of 2 to 4 adult deer. If this group contains even one antlered buck, then the group is likely all bucks.

A group that contains fawns is likely a family group composed of does and fawns.

Older bucks move slower, with a more stiff-legged gait than does, and have blockier, wider heads.

Use binoculars to determine if antler pedicels or a forehead patch are visible

Tom Litchfield,Iowa Department of Natural Resources deer biologist spoke at the Habitat Workshop Saturday and had some great information on the state of Iowa's deer herd in general that was certainly appreciated.

It didn't take long for somone to comment on the problem of shed bucks being shot in the late antlerless season however. Tom was prepared with some interesting stats that I hesitate to quote but I think I can get in the ball park.

4% end up being shed bucks and that is I believe all season from the get go and then he broke it down by season with roughly 33-34% of that 4% being harvested in the late antlerless season.

Some might be surprised to hear that 28% are killed in the late muzzleloader season so there is not a great deal of difference.

The % drops during the shotgun seasons but still was surprisingly higher then I would have thought.

As one might expect, he promised that the late antlerless season is not going away unless we take more deer beforehand.

There will be some changes made to encourage hunters to "get busy" in December but I mentioned that in my area many hunters chose to wait simply because they can use rifles.

The herd is on a slight downward trend and antlerless permits in my county are far from sold out. Lack of places to hunt and low deer numbers on lands where they are allowed to hunt no doubt affect that.

On the other side is large properties where no antlerless deer are taken at all, thus exacerbating the "problems" that our legislators here about.

All I can say is pay attention to what you shoot and encouarge others to do the same but if you hunt this time of year by driving deer there is going to be a number of shed bucks killed...just a fact of life I'm afraid...;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom