Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

late season muzzle loader

jcutter

Sorry in advance for the long read guys.
I have made a couple posts before concerning muzzle loaders and which one to buy. Well in my last post I said I had decided to go with the CVA accura MR with a leupold on top. So it is time to take it hunting.

Last Friday was the first time I had this gun out. I got off work at 2 and jetted to the farm. Sitting in a "condo" overlooking some tall CRP, timber edge and corn field. There were deer moving as soon as I set down. Couple small bucks. A few does and more turkeys than I could count.
Around 4:15 I see a basket rack come out of the bedding area and into the crp. He keeps glancing over his shoulder back into the brush and I finally see him. This buck comes out to edge just long to let me see him. Just as I am settling the cross hairs in him he walks back in. Close call but I was hoping he would make his way back out.
We'll about 25 minutes later 4 does come out of the same spot with him in tow. It is 160 yards where they enter the field and they are angling towards the stand. I stopped him just before he got downwind from me at 110 yards. He id quartering to me. I hold on the point of the shoulder and let the smoke fly. Perfect hit. It actually centered his heart.
Did not put a tape on this deer before he went to the taxi, but I think he will be just over 160 gross.
Ow and there was a thread the other day about taxidermists. IMO Scott Ralff is the best Iowa has to offer and he guarantees his work for life.

And yes I can finally shave my beard off now.

picture.php

Last edited:
You'd think with a buck like that a guy could smile??? I smile from ear to ear every time I show the picture up here in the land of the NFC North Champions. Jcutter had himself a hell of a year. Maybe if we ask him nice he will add a picture of his bow buck as well. There's not a whole lot of difference between the two.

There was a smile there. The beard was in the way. I will try to get the bow kill posted some time this week MW. We had a good year at the farm so far. Danno still has one more to fill and I think it is going to be a dandy.

Did you mean Scott Rolffs from Lynnville? Just brought my deer to him and have another mount done by him. Very good work.

Yeah that is him. He des a great job. MPW needs to post a pic of his buck that Scott did. I would not take my deer anywhere else.

Top Bottom