Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Season Ohio Harvest

medicsnoke

If I remember correctly I first saw this deer was last year. He had the same frame and about the same size. I saw him in velvet and in the same spot I took this picture this velvet season.
May2010_123.jpg

I cannot hunt this woodlot, Its owned by some animal lovers and serves as a sanctuary for a lot of this local deer herd.

One evening during the beginning of the rut I saw him again chasing a doe across a cut bean field about a 1/2 mile away from his velvet area. About two weeks later I saw him again in the pre-dawn light on my way to go hunting at a farm about 3 miles away. He was with a herd of does, running them like crazy. He looked thin and wore down from the rut. Not many days later I got this pic.
trail_cam_pic_1.jpg

I was however not interested in this deer. I had my eye on bruiser 160 class that also frequented this area. So this deer had a free pass....so i thought.

2/5/11
Man it was a nasty night. Wind was howling as I parked the truck. I thought about just going home and enjoying the wood stove I installed that morning. But with only two days left and a glimpse of a nice buck the night before I just had to go. As I dresses I saw two does enter the alfalfa field and start feeding. It made me confident that deer would move despite the howling wind. I had to bump those two does going in but they ran away from where I thought deer would com from.
I sat in the stand all night with small snow flakes stinging my eyes with each pper into the timber. I took this pic to show post on facebook.
pre-harvest.jpg

Im not afraid to admit I was hunting over a corn pile and have been all late season. Its what i do when the biter cold bites at your toes and the rut show no signs of continuing. Tonight I still have hope for that big 160. But I knew the big 6 pt was around and no recent pics of the big 160.....the big 6 would prob do. The thing was that the big 6 had yet to come to this corn pile, the big 160 had no qualms about feeding at the free food buffet. And last night i figured out why. I put the corn pile on the edge of a alfalfa hay field in a gate opening. The deer have been feeding in the alfalfa regularly as noted by tracks. However my cam over the corn pile was not getting much action. I bought some over heated corn off the local farmer for 2 a bushel. I wasnt sure if the deer liked it. But then last night, I had some does and fawn come to the pile. After about 15 minutes they started to get real nervous and looked back into the timber. Thats when I saw this guy and a nice 2 year old 8 point coming. I knew then that if he gave me a shot I was gonna take him down. They closed the distance fast and took the same trail as the does took. But 20 yards before the corn pile they skirted around the corn pile and cam and jumped the fence and started for the alfalfa field. I gave the UGLY 6 pointer and MAAUHHH....he stopped and I laid my 20 yrd pin on his shoulder. He was slightly downhill in a small raveen. The arrow struck him high, spine shot and went down immediately, rolling farther into the raveen. I knocked another arrow and tried to finish him off hitting him in the leg. I think he broke his other leg while thrashing. I then climbed down and walked to with in 20 yrds to finish him off and then let him expire while making a phone call to my wife.
He measures 23 1/4 wide, OK in the mass department but not much for tine length. I have no idea what he will score.

Thanks for looking guys.
2010-2011_buck.JPG

Top Bottom