Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lead free muzzleloader slugs?

MadisonB&C

I'm looking for a lead-free sabotted slug for my muzzleloader. So far the Barnes Spit-Fire and the Knight Red Hot is looking good. Does anyone have any experience with these, or other suggestions?

I shot the Knight Red Hots several years ago. They shot great but they were pricey and loaded so tight that you would swear that they couldn't shoot out of the gun. It has been years so I'm not sure how much, if any, that they have changed, or how pricey they are now. Good luck!:way:

I shoot the Barnes spit fire and they are awesome. Shoot outstanding and put the smack down when they hit. They may load a little harder than some bullet but a good tight bullet equals great accuracy and consistency. I have buddies that shoot the spitfire TMZ and they are outstanding as well make a hell of an entrance wound.

The Barnes Expander TMZs are pretty awesome. I was shooting great out to 200 with them. Always accurate and always expand. Love them, now that I have a 50 caliber again I finally get to shoot them again. With 120 grains BH209, I sighted mine 3 inches high at 100, put me dead on at 150 and 3 inches low at 200.

I also shoot barnes spitfire TMZ and they are the most accurate sabot I've tried in my omega. Like scottonbuck said they do put the smack down. I also have a DVD where the guy does ballistic gel tests of numerous different muzzleloading bullets and sabots and the barnes penetrated one of the highest distances and retained the most weight. BTW the DVD is called Precision Fire Inlines by russell lynch and is a great video for those just getting into muzzleloading or those who are trying to maximize accuracy.

I shoot the 250 Barnes MZ Expander with 100 gr. loose Tripple Seven in my Encore. Very accurate and performance is excellent.

I have shot almost the whole line of Barnes Bullets and let me tell you... I have not only seen the best accuracy with these but the way they mushroom is second to none. A couple years ago I pulled out a sabot that was lodged into an opposite side shoulder of my dad's buck and the mushroomed sabot looked like it was ready to get a picture taken of it for their bullet cover. The 250 gr. Barnes Spitfire TMZ is a superior bullet when it comes to muzzleloader accuracy!

250gr Barnes TMZ for me. If you have trouble loading them they make a TEZ for tighter barrels...

Solid Copper Barnes MZ Expander

Barnes MX Expander at 100 Yards. No sense wasting the 3rd round. :way:

MK85%20100%20Yards.jpg

Top Bottom