Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Learn to Hunt 2008 - pics up

Husker

PMA Member
Yesterday my local chapter of the NWTF, the Bluff Country Long Spurs held our 10th annual Learn to Hunt. Each year we have taken out 10-12 individuals usually kids who have not hunted turkeys and may not have someone to take them turkey hunting. Saturday was a day filled with classroom work consisting gun safety, turkey identification, woodsmanship, then we patterned shotguns and did a quick scouting trip to the land they would be hunting in the morning.
Sunday morning dawned clear and a balmy 48 deg (compared to 17 degrees last year). The birds cooperated quite nicely for some and not so well for others. All told, all the kids got to see turkeys, deer, squirrels and hear coyotes, coon squallors and enjoy the world waking up to a new day.
We were lucky enough to harvest 2 jakes and a 2 year old bird by our noon quit time with a couple of the other hunters getting shots but just a bit too much adrenaline to connect on them. Thanks to the landowners who let us run their land for the last 10 years and the volunteer mentors who take out a weekend for the kids.

I have a picture but I'm gonna claim ignorance and I'll e-mail it to Muddy and see if he will post it for me.

wiscturke.JPG

Re: Learn to Hunt 2008

If you sent it to my iowawhitetail account you'll have to wait until I get home from work... which will be 45 minutes. But I will take care of it.

This is a great program, I love this yearly post.

That is cool as hell....great job man. Bet those kids smile from ear to ear when they leave there.

Thanks for posting again this year Husker! Looks like another great turn out.

Nice job Slim. I know the mentors look forward to this weekend as much as the kids do

hoofline.gif

Sounds to me like you all must have had a good time. What a great program to get young hunters involved, nothing like being a mentor! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? >>>>> Details Here!<<<<<

Top Bottom