Leased Land

L

Little Al

I have been hunting mostly public land and was thinking of trying to find some private land to hunt on next year. How much do some of you pay to hunt private land? I know that it would make a difference on how many acres and how many other pepole were hunting the same piece of land. A couple of years back one guy wanted a couple hundred dollars for the months of October and November; but the only thing I didn't like was he had a calender with the days marked that he would let me in to hunt. I could not come and go as I pleased, so I passed on that hunt. I have till next year to see what I can find. Al

It a frightening sign of the times when a guy who has been hunting for 45 years and lives in the rural NW readly accepts the notion he has to pay for permission to hunt on private land! Did you move into the area recently? Do you operate a road grader for the county? I would hope private land is available for a local guy with his hat in his hand and not just the urban wannabe with a fat wallet in his hand.
Man I hate the direction this leased hunting is going.
flaming.gif

Wow, i never heard of paying a person to hunt, i always knew that it was a good idea to offer the land owner some of your catch. Is this a common thing for someone to have to do? (Pay) . I come from a family that each member owns land, so i have many places to hunt, i just repay then with meat. They love it!

I hate the idea also. I have lived in the same county all my life in NW Iowa, 53 years. Timber land is rare except for a few small areas and those are owned by pepole that keep the hunting for themselves or it is public land that everone can hunt. If I want to sit in a fence line during muzzle loader season 90% of the pepole will let you hunt. I have tried the on ground method for archery and it is tough. The last few years in order to find more deer and larger bucks I have started hunting major river areas on public ground farther from home. These areas are hard to get into, and from what I have been seeing archery is not a dieing sport. It seems that most of the large wooded areas already have someone else hunting them, freinds or family members. Al

I have only bow hunted for 5 years in N.E. Iowa but by knocking on doors I have picked up a 600 acre farm to bow hunt and also a 400 acre farm to bow hunt. I share the 400 acre land with two other bow hunters, but I have exclusive rights to the 600 acre farm. During the summer and fall I rake hay, fix fence, work cattle, and any other chores that they need help with. Also I share my deer and since I do alot of fishing in the summer I supply the farmers with fresh fish/ pickled fish. Don't give up hope as many farmers appreciate the help as well as somebody to talk to.

Profile said he runs a grader. I know a guy who road grades the gravel roads in this county and he tells my brother-in-law and I about alot of bucks he sees. But my line of thinking is he would also be a known face to alot of farmers who are glad to see him maintain there road.
I have a friend who is a Sheriff deputy. He "patrols" past a place he hopes to hunt and wheels into the farm yard when he sees his chanes to ask the owner. The farmer is more than happy to see law enforcement on his road. Ergo - happy hunting.
wink.gif

where are you at in NW Iowa? I have lots of contacts in NW Iowa . I have lived here forever and havent had to pay yet but the competition is getting tougher. Ya gotta break into the old boy network in your area. every small town has a spot where the farmers gather in the AM for coffee.

deerbarber The last couple of years I have been hunting south of Spencer in a county park; it is 60 miles from home. It has alot of timber area ,but also alot of foot traffic from other kinds of hunters. In my local county of Osceola like I said I have no problem getting permisson to hunt alot of places, but there is very little timber area and most of the deer don't make their 3rd. year because there is no place for them to hide during slug season, especially if there is snow on the ground, spotting scopes and a dozen pickups surround the sections! Just looking for a place to hunt that was a little quieter where the deer moved more frequently during the day. Thanks for any help. fettes@siebring.com Al

Back