Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Leaves on the ground

bowhuntr311

IowaWhitetail Addict
So I've got a plot that planted down right around labor day weekend, with rye and clover/chicory.
picture.php

Anyways my question now is, the ground and plot is 100% covered with leaves. When you walk across it and look down you do not see anything but leaves. I have plans of mowing off the rye next spring when it hits the 10in mark but Im wondering if I should blow the leaves off it before the woods green up next spring to help the clover/chicory. I have access to a nice gas powered backpack leaf blower that I could clear this little opening in a matter of a few minutes.

Thanks.

Are those oaks that you left standing? If yes, I would probably leave them. :)grin: No extra charge for the pun!) If not, I would remove them to reduce your "leaf making capacity" and shading.

Otherwise, if it were me, I would remove the leaves with the leaf blower you mentioned.

Yea the area is majority oak. Im guessing better than 85% of the leaves are oak. This little opening is near the center of a pretty good chunk of woods. Cutting trees and brush just to remove the leaf making capacity isnt really a viable option although not a bad thought.

I have access to a nice gas powered backpack leaf blower that I could clear this little opening in a matter of a few minutes.
Sounds like the right answer to me I'm sured a heavy matting will be a negative come Spring. How was the germination this fall? If you can pen ujp some canopy it would do wonders.

Top Bottom