Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Legal?? Ethical??

Sitting in a tree stand where you can see activity on another persons property just seems different to me than 24 hr camera "Surveillance" of private property. I for one do not want to crawl out of my tractor after taco night to take a dump and later find out it was all recorded on someones SD card on a camera faced at MY property. Sorry, wouldn't fly with me. I would however try reasoning with the guy before I did anything "rash". :D

Is the camera actually on his property? Fences are usually on the line, with one side being each others property. Looks like a Moultrie, new model

Last edited:
I think it shows poor form on his part. I dont understand how anybody thinks it is ok for this guy to monitor a property that is not his and he does not have permission to do so. He clearly intended to do this and should have asked first.

I'd have a talk with the person. Heck, they may share the pics with you so you don't have to put cameras out yourself. Besides, they can sit just behind that post and be legal. Not saying its right, but they could do it if that is the true border anyways to sit right behind the post. The positioning of the camera is not right tho, being its on your side of the fence.

A fence opening is always a great place to get pics. That lock is not going to do much if someone were to take off the old fence and lift it off the post :D

That is not anything I would condone, but that lock is not going to do much in that situation don't look like to me.

To all the guys that say it is unethical to hang pointed at ground you can't hunt, are any of you married? Ever looked at another woman and thought how attractive she was? You unethical turds..... Seriously, you may not agree with it but as others have said if the camera is not hung on the wrong side of the property line, then what is he hurting. Gosh darn guy may just be a deer nut camera running freak. Anyone on here like that at all? Unless you have found evidence of wrong doing, I would say contact him and discuss it, you just may find yourself a new best friend with the same interests as you. Plus you could share info and hunt together.

Last edited:
Sitting in a tree stand where you can see activity on another persons property just seems different to me than 24 hr camera "Surveillance" of private property. I for one do not want to crawl out of my tractor after taco night to take a dump and later find out it was all recorded on someones SD card on a camera faced at MY property. Sorry, wouldn't fly with me. I would however try reasoning with the guy before I did anything "rash". :D

My thoughts exactly. I was a little surprised by some of the responses that thought it was 100% ethical but that is why I posted it, to hear the differences in opinion. It is something that I would never consider doing.

I have no idea who the hunter is nor do we have any intentions of doing or saying anything to him about it. I am blessed to have a great place to hunt and have no intentions of giving someone a hard time that is legally hunting the other side of the fence. In fact, I hope he does well. For the same reason that Skully mentioned, my landowner thought it wasn't tactful on the part of the other hunter. For me, it was creepy to know that I was being watched by the wandering eye while on property I had permission to hunt and was glad I didn't have my finger in my nose for the viewing enjoyment of a stranger (and his friends:))

No way to know if it is the same guy, but two years ago someone hung a ladder stand in that same brushy creek, 3 feet from the property line, facing the my landowner's field, and cut down several small trees to clear shooting lanes to shoot onto my landowner's property. It was so thick behind the stand that it would have been impossible to shoot onto the property he had permission on, the only shots being onto private property. Again, nothing was said or done to impead his hunt. It just surprises me at the things people do that I wouldn't even consider.

Thanks for the discussion!:way:

Last edited:
For me, it was creepy to know that I was being watched by the wandering eye while on property I had permission to hunt and was glad I didn't have my finger in my nose for the viewing enjoyment of a stranger (and his friends:))

I might have some of those pictures from our youth if that helps! And I might be able to find them and post them if you want! ;) :D

Some people tend to see 'open fields' differently than cover/timber. The owner of the camera probably thinks it's 'okay' to scan the field. To me, land is land, and we should respect the property owner.
None of us would want a camera pointed into our best cedar/bedding thicket in the same matter, this is no different.
Find out who owns the camera, ask them to politely move the camera to their side of the fence. If they don't, block it with a hunting blind, bale, or sign.

Too be completely technical in terms of legality.. that camera is occupying air space on the wrong side of the fence, if that fence is in fact the property boundary. Sounds ridiculous but we had a little family business feud where I work in which two businesses are attached to each other and one business had an easement to go through the others lot for access. We had a sign on the property that had been there since before the new business was added on and then it was fenced in. We came to work one day to find my step dad's brother (each of them owned one of the businesses) trying to cover up our several hundred dollar sign with his own sign.. since we had already had the sheriff called on us for "tresspassing" on to their business property to get other items off the property that belonged to us, we used a big loader and had someone get in it and lifted us up and over the fence 20 ft high or so to remove the sign in which the sheriff again showed up because we were occupying airspace... so, that being said, that camera where it's at wouldn't be any different than him having a stand in which the trunk of the tree was on his side but it leaned and his stand hung out over the fence.. where does this invisible line stop? I have no clue because airplanes fly over all of the time.

I'm glad I have bigger things to worry about!!

Not worried at all, just put it out for the point of a discussion. Review my most recent reply and you will see that no action is being taken, nor was it intended to be, just a point of discussion which seems to have opinions split.:way:

To all the guys that say it is unethical to hang pointed at ground you can't hunt, are any of you married? Ever looked at another woman and thought how attractive she was? You unethical turds..... QUOTE]

Just for the sake of argument........looking at your neighbor's wife might not be unethical, but what if you reached over the privacy fence and hung a trail camera on his side to watch his wife sunbath. Still ethical? I'm guessing he wouldn't be too happy and would have it removed pretty quickly.

I know, I know, apples to oranges.:) Again, for those that didn't read beyond the first post, we are doing nothing to deter him and if he is a law biding citizen, I hope he is successful.

One question can you be 50% ethical and 50% unethical or are you either ethical or unethical.

sent from super hunters I phone

This is a little more than 'looking' onto ones land. How would you feel your neighbor in town had a camera on the property line looking onto yours. Or if the guy hung a tree stand on the post or was just plain hunting there. I'm assuming the people that thought this was perfectly ok would have no problem with any of those scenarios.

I can't see how this is even a discussion I guess. A stand facing onto your property. Sure, i would be upset and question the hunters ethics. But a camera can't kill a deer. I do however think to avoid any question he could have but the camera on one of those trees and got the same pictures it looks like. Just wondering if the camera was inside the property further but still facing the same spot would it still be a big deal?

I'll weigh in: I don't think the camera should be hung like that.

I don't think the "right hand rule" for fence responsiblity comes into play. A fence is a boundary that extends up: stay on your side.

Now would I get upset? Probably not. I know of a ladder stand that is against a tree on "my" side of the fence. When the neighbor sits in it to look over his CRP field, the "invisible" boundary that goes up from the fence cuts him in two. In actuality, he's trespassing.

I choose not to make waves since he is the neighbor. We aren't friends, yet we aren't enemies, so I'm good with that.

Top Bottom