Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Legal?? Ethical??

I once had a camera in a smokin spot on my land. Now it was an original Cam Tracker like 1998 time frame. Kind that used 35 MM film. I check it one day and the Film is GONE! ????WTF ?? They took the film but left the camera.

Over the years I have moved food plots and changed what I do as to not give any advantage to any neighbor as to where deer travel. Of course we cant make them do anything but I can change me. what you could do if you owned it is hinge some trees right there and stop any deer from taking the exit route. He can leave his camera.

Guys are low life's if they hunt on someone's fence line? Wow. Shooting over it, yeah I get but just because they hunt on it? I have stand set up right on neighbors fence lines with no intention of shooting there. Sometimes it is because that is the only trees to get it and sometimes its the best tree to sit in. So I'm a low life for sitting in a tree on that fence line?

Dont know your situation but in my area everyone around me has bulldozed, run cattle, and cut down every piece of timber they own. Then there is my piece, food plots, unmolested timber, switchgrass. Magically all the stands have moved to my fences since I have bought it. I wouldnt care if just ONE person might try to improve their ground, instead of just taking advantage what I try to do.

Dont know your situation but in my area everyone around me has bulldozed, run cattle, and cut down every piece of timber they own. Then there is my piece, food plots, unmolested timber, switchgrass. Magically all the stands have moved to my fences since I have bought it. I wouldnt care if just ONE person might try to improve their ground, instead of just taking advantage what I try to do.

I can understand that. And the ground I hunt is great ground, but some situations call for my stands to be on or close to neighbors. Some people do take advantage of other peoples management practices. But doesn't mean they are a low life either. Some people can't afford ground to hunt. Maybe the farmer is letting someone hunt his ground and that is all they can find to hunt around you and they will obviously set close to your cover. I do understand your frustration but I also don't think you should label them as low life's. And maybe you know them and they are and completely take advantage of your hard work and for that I apologize

I can understand that. And the ground I hunt is great ground, but some situations call for my stands to be on or close to neighbors. Some people do take advantage of other peoples management practices. But doesn't mean they are a low life either. Some people can't afford ground to hunt. Maybe the farmer is letting someone hunt his ground and that is all they can find to hunt around you and they will obviously set close to your cover. I do understand your frustration but I also don't think you should label them as low life's. And maybe you know them and they are and completely take advantage of your hard work and for that I apologize

Your probably right, its just frustrating to say the least. I am lucky to own ground but some days I wonder if its worth it.

Scott, I have the exact same problem in mn. First season gun, east side of my property 5 fence line hunters hunting 80 acres with 15 acres of woods. South side 4 guys hunting 40 acres of woods. West side 2 guys hunting 20 acres of woods. None of these guys have done 1 single thing to improve their grounds. They just move closer to my property. One of the morons even had the stones to ask me why I didn't plant my food plots closer the fence line. All of this in the peak of the pre rut and rut = good ole mn gun season.

Pull a Phil Robertson, Wayne...go talk to him and tell him you'll be more than happy to share trail cams with him. Do the unexpected. Bring some over to him to show him and explain it makes you feel creeped out with cameras being pointed on your land...Then tell him you hope he shoots a big deer that wanders on his place. Kill him with kindness. You never know what could happen.

Personally, it's wrong - but I'd kill it with kindness. :way:

Thanks for bringing this up Wayne - never viewed the situation like this and it's brought some great discussion. You are a very upstanding guy and am sure it will be handled with wisdom and great thought.

See you at the classic pal! :way:

I hope the gentleman officer you find are better than I have in the neighborhood. We found a treestand 50 yds. onto on our land the end of last season, since we have the most timber \ land in this section we chose to put a sign on the stand telling the hunter he was trespassing ( as not to start a war and jeopardize all off our stands). He never did remove, so we placed another sign with our phone number on tree base to call if he wanted it back this fall. He never called, but one afternoon when I was going to a different bow stand, a deputy sheriff pulled up behind me. Talked to him awhile and he told me he hunted next to us. Told him about the stand we pulled next to ground he hunted. He said it was his, deer kept traveling east so he kept moving stand (thought he was still on ground he had permission to hunt), he even admitted to sitting in one of my nearby stands, I asked him if he seen the "no trespassing" sign on the post he drove within 10 feet of??? He claimed no, I showed him the boundary line, gave him my number and offered to return his stand at a later date but told him my partner was going to check the serial number on it because it resembled one we had stolen a couple years prior. The Gentleman? officer claimed he would call me the next day to retrieve his stand. No Call---ever. HMMMMM. :confused:

Reminds me of my situation. My wife and I live on the family farm. The farm is in our name and we are the legal owners (important detail). We have a neighbor that has a small parcel that holds a ton of deer and he lets another neighbor hunt it, no problem here.

My timber is next to his as well as my crop ground. The problem is we cannot effectively hunt the timber without getting winded. So my son and and I moved a box blind to the farthest corner that would allow us to hunt the crop ground and the timber entrance into the crop ground without shooting onto the neighbors. Now here is where the fun begins the blind was moved in MAY. It is only good for gun hunting and my son and I hunted it one time during early muzzle loader and shot a 140" buck. End of story, right?

November rolls around and the landowner comes over and demands that I move the blind. He first says that I put it there to "piss" off the other hunters. He then says I am violating the 200 yard rule (100 yards from his machine shed) and he wants the blind moved by the end of the weekend. I politely told him the best I could I would look into and let him know what I would do. I measured off 200 yards and if I moved the blind I would be shooting into his property, RIGHT where the other hunters were hunting. Come to find out the other hunters found out I shot "their" buck and they were pissed, so they thought they had a way to get back at me.

So I called the local DNR and explained the situation and he informed me that as long as I was the "LEGAL" landowner I did not have to move the blind. Then the fireworks started. I have never in my life been called so many four letter names. It was nice to have the letter of the law of my side.

Fence issues are tough, we have had more than our fair share of issues, but when it comes to deer hunting and fences it seems that some people lose common sense and will do almost anything to fill that $28 deer tag.:confused:

mole

Top Bottom