Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Legal Shooting Hours

BW

Does anyone have any comments about KNOWINGLY shooting deer outside legal hunting hours? (lets say 10 minutes either way)

This is something I have always strictly adheared to even though it has cost me a number of nice deer through the years.

This time of the year is a good opportunity to get into that position. Last night I had a 140 class 8 point come in when legal hunting time in my zone was over.

He was only 8 yards from me and I know I could have planted a good one in him. I did not shoot because I KNEW it was past time and to me an ill gotten trophy is worthless.

My hunting partner disagrees, and I believe a number of other hunters I know would not hesitate if it meant collecting a nice buck.

When I started hunting I did not always know when sunrise/sunset was, So if I could not see my BH on end of the arrow when I drew my bow, then it was too dark to shoot. (which usually falls right on or within legal shooting hours if you try it)
These days we have unlimited access to sunrise/sunset information.

I know with some of the optics that are in the field these days it makes it easier to stretch things.

This may be a gray area and not really impact hunting, but where do we draw the lines when teaching a new hunter?

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 11-14-2001).]

ETHICS...IT MEANS ALOT OF DIFFERENT THINGS TO ALOT OF DIFFERENT PEOPLE. But it sure sounds like you are the kind of guy that I would not mind hunting with, the law is the law. It is no different than what makes a trophy to an individual any deer should be considered a trophy but alot of people will disagree. KEEP UP THE GOOD ETHICS AND MAYBE YOUR BUDS WILL LEARN FROM YOU.

This year I kept track of sunset times and it turns out I've been quitting early all these years. By the time legal shooting hours have ended, it's been too dark for me to shoot for a solid 10 minutes.

I had a nice(?) buck not 15 yds from me not 20 minutes after sunset. It was so dark I couldn't even count tines from that distance. I held up my bow just to see if I could see the pins. I couldn't so I let him go, well with in legal hours. The other evening it was still light enough, I can't explain why, it was way errie, to shoot about 40 minutes after sunset. Didn't see any deer that day. My point is let common sense and saftey prevail. If its to dark to safely shoot and garauntee a well placed shot, but well with in legal hours then don't shhot. If it is still light enough to safely take and gaurantee a well placed shot, even after legal hours....maybe, but the fines aren't worth it. The too dark to shoot before legal hours are over has been the rule in my short tenure as a bow hunter.

The 'Bonker

I know they will fine you for shooting ducks 5 minutes early. But it is easier to hear a gun go off than a bow.....
wink.gif

You guys are all more ethical than I. I don't pay much attention to the table, I hunt til I can't see my pins. If I can't make, in my mind, an ethical kill, I don't pull the trigger. Maybe I should look at the table. I'd hate to get fined. But then again, will the DNR actually ticket you for shooting 10 or 15 minutes past legal shooting hours? And if so, how will they actually know when the deer was shot. If you shoot a deer during legal shooting hours, it takes time to track and field dress. It's possible not to come out of timber until 9 p.m.!

I don't know Swanny, I can here my partners high powered cambow go off at quite a distance.

I have noticed that it's usually too dark to see my pins a couple minutes before the end of legal shooting time. However if Buckzilla was 15 yards broadside I'd make every effort to find them! But just because you don't get caught doesn't mean it's legal!

If you're looking for a sunrise/sunset table, here's the "official" table used by the IDNR: http://www.state.ia.us/government/dnr/organiza/fwb/enforcmt/sunrise.htm

Top Bottom