Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

let the little ones go shoot a doe

T

tineseeker

Hey shotgun hunter be safe the next three weeks and good luck..

If possible let the little bucks grow another year or two. Shoot the big boys and the does. If you can buy an extra antlerless tag and take and extra doe this year to help keep the pop in check to prvent the spread of diseases, overbrowsing and car wrecks.

I'm and avid bow hunter and i'll be rooting for the big and little boys tell next season or late season when i pick up the smokepole when the woods are quieter again.

I got my buck this year on public land. First time there and first time up a tree in my climbing stand. It was awsome. He scores in the low 100s but the rack shure look good on the wall.(I keep telling my self i need to hold out for a true wall hanger. ( Maby next year) My brother and I got are doe harvests on video this year and the was fun also. Along with that video, we taped two other bucks during our doe outings which would score around the 130s ( I should have waited.) Hope they can hide from the S -gunners.

Well good luck to all.
Take a kid hunting.
B. Safe.

Tineseeker,

Good advice. There is something I've been wondering about for a long time. What would deer hunting be like in Iowa if everyone passed on 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old bucks?

Good hunting everyone,
Old Buck

From the looks of the back of the pickups I saw, the little ones weren't let go..
frown.gif

Our group has a rule not to shoot any buck under six points, unless it's a big six. We saw alot of nice bucks this year in N.Central Iowa. We took a couple of nice bucks- one eight and one ten pt.

I shot what I thought was a young doe until I got to it and found out it was a small button buck with buttons under 1/8 of an inch. Now I'm never going to shoot a yearling again.

Everyone should hunt their own hunt as long as it is legal. If you like hunting big bucks then great. We can hunt them with the challenge of not having one around every corner. I thought challenge was why we bowhunted? It seems to me quite often hunting is not what's important any more. It is just killing the big buck. I would rather see kids and other folks involved shooting button bucks and forkies and learn what hunting is and having fun doing it rather than worrying about scores. I think we have exactly what we need right now. Still affordable, quality hunting for everyone. Just my behind the times opinion.

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 12-03-2001).]

Big antlers are nice,I will admit.But,I think this scoreing can get a little much.To me There is small bucks,nice bucks and monster bucks.All are great bow kills if ya ask me.But sometimes it seems hunters degrade anything that is not a monster by calling it punny or spindly or not even.Hey, we all need challenges to make the hunt a hunt.One of my most exciting kills was with recurve bow,on the ground just scout an erea at noon.He was a great spiker or I call "the 2 pionter.Don't measure the antlers,measure the RUSH!!!!!

I'd like to see more young bucks make it through the season too, but who am I to tell someone who has shot very few deer to let a basket 8 go by. I think people need to shoot what will make them happy, but make sure they are happy with what they shoot and tag it.
By the way, not all basket rack deer are under 3 years old. I have intentionally shot some very large bodied bucks that I know were 3+ years old with spreads less than 12 inches, just to get them out of the genepool where I hunt. This year while bow hunting I passed up a very large bodied basket 8 several times, but by the end of the season I had watched him chase away shooter bucks 2 different times so I let him have it.

Just my opinion

IaCraig

[This message has been edited by IaCraig (edited 12-07-2001).]

Originally posted by BW:
Everyone should hunt their own hunt as long as it is legal.

I agree 100%~~~

If you like hunting big bucks then great. We can hunt them with the challenge of not having one around every corner. I thought challenge was why we bowhunted? It seems to me quite often hunting is not what's important any more. It is just killing the big buck. I would rather see kids and other folks involved shooting button bucks and forkies and learn what hunting is and having fun doing it rather than worrying about scores. I think we have exactly what we need right now. Still affordable, quality hunting for everyone. Just my behind the times opinion.

BW: we share the same thoughts!!! I was able to introduce a dear friend to deer hunting this year, he took an 8 pt buck. Score?? Heavy. we both agreed that after dragging him out of the field that smoking was highly overrated. His family was THRILLED that Daddy brought home meat. He was on top of the world.

I couldn't have been happier, gave my the rest of my hunt that day to teach him how to field dress the righ way. hung it in my garage and toasted our good fortune with spirits in a can.

The next day when showing it to someone we both know his response: Just think how big he would have been next year if you would have let him go. what an ass. Totally misses out on WHY you hunt.

The tenderloins?????? I smoked them with a garlic glaze and butter. Slow roasted spuds and a good Merlot. He and His wife said it was one of the best meals they ever tasted.

THAT is what deer hunting used to be about.

That buck would have been bigger next year.So would the hunter.And a guy has to think,Life is short or maybe unfortunate accident will occure.This is reality.Your see,I had an accident 2 years ago.I cut my right hand badly.I had to have surgery on it so it would be usable.I thought I might not ever bow hunt again.Thanks to God and the doctors I got back 75% use.I can bow hunt without special releases just like before.And I can work to provide for my family.But this could have gone the other way.So,that buck would have been bigger next year.But I beleive in living today.Besides,In my experiance,deer replace each other.So,your friend is to be congadulated on a great hunt and blessings.Next year,we pray,that he can do it again.(Just another way of looking at things).

Sludge,Thanks for the story.And for bringing a true deer friend into the woods.Sounds like you have been rewarded too.

Top Bottom