Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lets look at some numbers

H

horst

In another post I seen a lotta talk about someone showing us some numbers to back up thier point.I have to much time on my hands so I decided to see what was really going on with the deer harvest.I just looked at about an hours worth of search results, and got these from the best sources I could find, someof these numbers may be a little disputable but they all came out so close looking at them from different sources that theyl work for this purpose.Some came from the DNR, some from different legislation, things like that.

2001 deer harvest in Iowa was 136, 655 animals
Number of does killed N/A

2002 deer killed in Iowa, 3% higher at 140, 490 animals

Does killed, up 3% to 4,200 antlerless deer

2003 season, 182,721 deer killed

Does killed in 2003, a whopping 96,200 antlerless deer were killed in that season

2004 season

kill results not yet available but...

License sales were up 39% from 2003
Antlerless Licenses actualy sold out in 82 counties

Out of 84,000 available doe licenses 71,000 were bought.

The hush program only has 29 lockers currently accepting deer statewide.These pretty much run in a straight line{according to the map} up through the center of the state.I forgot to note the number of deer donated to this program but it was pretty mind blowing and way higher then the previous year.

90% of the land is privately owned in Iowa, that leaves 10% publicly owned, of that a lot of its game preserves, and refuges.Couldnt find figures on how much of the 90% was off limits to hunting, leased, posted, rural, etc...

So heres my thoughts, We have killed in the nieghborhood of 50,000 more deer then we did just 3 short years ago.

We have jumped the number of antlerless deer killed by somewhere in the nieghborhood of 90,000 does.

We have contributed tons of venison to the needy in recent years, despite a lack of lockers in the state accepting donated deer for the Hush program.

We have accomplished this despite the fact that less then 10% of the ground in Iowa is accessible to all hunters.

And somehow, their saying the deer population is still rising?
confused.gif

Anyway you look at it, were doing our part, and personally I think were doing a hell of a job considering nothings changed in the last 3 years to allow us access to more of the problem areas, and HUSH locations are very limited.You should all be pretty hapy with how far weve come.

Yet the insurance industries been quoted as saying they cant see where them funding more of the HUSH program to make it avalable statewide will increase the deer harvest.The DNRs pushing to have caps on NR tags lifted, despite our best efforts, which can only mean they see it as a way for more funding.I even found notes from an Iowa City board meeting where they discussed sharpshooters not being an effective way to kill enough deer and bowhunting being instituted.But it was thought to be to time consuming to change the city ordinance prohibiting it.

The numbers should speak for themselves, the problems not with the current system, its not with hunters not doing thier part, I think it lies more with people expecting results to fast, they want to up the harvest by an additional 25% this year alone.

Anyay, just some random thoughts and actual numbers to go by, founsd it kinda interesting myself when I started looking them up and thought Id post em.
grin.gif

Horst, you and I are divided on the NR landowner tag issue, and this may floor you, but I AGREE WITH YOU. I think deer population is a lame argument for increasing tags to NR's. We kill lots of does on our land. Even though we cant get a buck tag, we can get doe tags and we use them on does. The system works in that respect. In my opinion, the deer population is regulated just fine, at least in SE Iowa where I hunt. Just my observation.

as far as ohio's statistics, another record year!

Bow--- 57,198(new record)
Shotgun--- 125,681
Muzzleloader--- 27,749(new record)

Total 2005/2005 harvest--- 217,301(also new record)

I think that we all have forgotten that like all government programs, deer hunting is just looked at as a money generating source. So to all you deer hunters, pay your fees and support the welfare system and the rest of the free loaders.

One thing I noticed after I posted this.The DNRsite also lists the "after season" deer population as being 200,000 deer.And the total deer harvest is 186,000.That would mean that we are killing just short of half the deer in the state every year.Somethings about all these numbers just doesnt add up.You take out the number of roadkill deer after the season, and the number of bucks in the state, and it narrows the population of does considerably as well.How are the numbers still rising if these figures are anywhere close to correct?If theyre not correct it means that nobody, the DNR included has any actual idea what the deer population is in the state.So how do they know more deer need killed statewide.Has anyone even seen any research on the deer population to back up the insurance companies claims?How much of the extra 60$ million a year theyre spending has more to do with higher repair bills and nothing to do with more deer?Just seems theres a lotta questions nobody wants to address, they just keep saying kill more deer.Without and reliable numbers to go by how do we know when weve killed enough deer?The more I look at this the more questions I have.Ill be gone for a couple days, again, Im just rambling here.

i do believe this all being ran by big business insurance companies , relators , guide services ect. the deer numbers are way down in alot of rural counties i think are biggest problem is in and aruond the cites cedar rapids had 860 deer vehical collisons last year thats alot ! i think if dnr focus there attention to the cities and suburban areas we would have drastic affect on the amount of deer collisons in the state

Horst, I have some freinds that operate a auto body repairshop. I asked if their deer collision rate was up or down this year. They said the deer hit numbers were down. They also said that the reason the dollar amount for the deer hits is so high is because of the cost of parts has increased so much. Labor has gone up too due to inflation and increased price of health. I too would like to see where they draw their numbers from. From the numbers you have found, we have alot of does giving birth to triplets every year???

Top Bottom