Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

little help from the turkey experts

jersey hunter

Hey guys. I am little new to the turkey hunting. I am a advid bow hunter and live to be in the woods after deer. My wife has been sitting with me every now an again and is starting to get the itch. Long story short she says she not ready to deer hunt but would love to hunt Turkey. Haven't done any preperation yet. And I really don't know where to start. Any suggestions will help thanks guys

Without someone being able to actually show you how, I would say turkey hunting is a little harder to learn by yourself, with calling anyways.. I would recommend start practicing diaphram calls now and you might be ready to call one in by the spring if you're lucky. They are hard to pick up on and some people just straight up can't use them period because of gag reflexes and what not. I would recommend a slate call or a box call for your first year. Usually the birds start gobbling really good in March, especially on the warms days.. Venture out into the woods during then at first light in the morning and listen to where they are gobbling from and try to get somewhat close so you can tell exactly where they are roosting. Sit next to a tree and study where they fly down from off of the roost and where the go to breed hens and feed. The best place then to set up and call from would be along the turkeys natural route that he likes to travel regardless if you are calling from there or not.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I Just got hunter specialty mouth call and a slate call. I'm definitely gunna need more practice. I'm not expexcting to go out the first time and call every Tom In the county to me. Just wanna try and see some action. I will be doing the calling hopefully and the wife will be doing the shooting. When would u guys start scouting. I'm hearing were Turkey are now most likely will not be there come spring?? Is this tru? When will u guys be going out to scout? ? Thanks for the help that has already come. And I love to learn so any suggestions out there send them this way. Thanks guys

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Buy a dsd jake, an upright and feeder hen. Find what field they hit and sit tight. If you add a little movement to the decoys you dont even need to call it seems. I call less and less every year. Clucks and purrs is where it is at for me.

Definitely going to invest in a decoy or two. I also just got a blind but its s cheapo made by Remington
. Hope it gets the job done. And also may sound like a stupid question but how do u locate turkeys period. I've seen them a hundred times where I hunt it just seems like when I'm looking for them there no where around

Thanks cooter. I m going to take ur advice come season. Till then I guess I will piss off everyone on my block with all my new calls. Gotta learn somehow haha

Just listen for the gobbles in another month or two.. you can make them "shock" gobble with an owl hoot call or coyote howler

forgot about the push button call! if you get one, make sure its wood. definately a must have, especially for a beginner

Thanks again guys for your help. I am gunna try a little bit of everything.. hopefully I will be back in April with some pictures.

is it legal to leave a feeder out for turkeys during turkey season?

Prohibited Devices and Activities​
You may not use live decoys, dogs (except in the
fall), horses, phones, radios, motorized vehicles,
aircraft, bait, recorded or electronically amplified
turkey calls or electronically amplified imitations​
of turkey calls or sounds when hunting turkeys.

Jersey hunter,
You really don't have to be that good to call in a turkey. Actually, if you know where they go and have the patience to wait them out. Chances are pretty good you will get a shot. In my opinion many turkey's lives are saved by people getting antsy and thinking a move is necessary. If you're in an area the turkeys use stay put. Also remember the hours between 10am through 2 pm. are very productive. :way:

Jersey hunter,
You really don't have to be that good to call in a turkey. Actually, if you know where they go and have the patience to wait them out. Chances are pretty good you will get a shot. In my opinion many turkey's lives are saved by people getting antsy and thinking a move is necessary. If you're in an area the turkeys use stay put. Also remember the hours between 10am through 2 pm. are very productive. :way:

While I hate to admit it :grin: , but this is great advice... :way:

I am a firm believer that blinds have made horrid turkey hunters good, OKAY turkey hunters great, and great turkey hunters unstoppable. Get a blind and get comfortable and wait them out, patience will kill more birds than anything.

As far as calls go, just learn the basics and get confident in making turkey sounds. In today's day and age, the callers are better than the turks, so don't spend too much time trying to get "Good". As far as I'm concerned, knowing when NOT to call is the ticket. Maybe pick up a few turk vids and see what you can take from those. However, keep in mind most TV turk hunters call more than you need simply to keep the video interesting.

Get to the woods at least a half hour than you think you need to be there, and go slow. If you are sneaky you can literally sneak up the base of the tree they are roosted in. Give them a few soft clucks and they might land at your feet!!!

Good luck, there is no better way to spend a spring than whack'n gobbies!

:way:

I start scouting two three weeks before season starts. I don't take any calls with me when scouting. It is too tempting to call to them and you can make them call shy doing this.
Sent using IW app

This would be a great one for a debate.

As far as tips I think most of the guys have touched on them.

I really believe that partnering up with an experienced hunter would be the way to go first couple of times out.

I will try all these tips thru out the season. Its right around the corner.. u guys gotta be pumped. Thanks again for u r comments. And keep them comin if ya got them

Top Bottom