Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

loading a deer

In all honestly I just use one of those hitch haulers. It is only 2 feet off the ground and is pretty easy. They are only like 50-60 bucks. I have a crew cab pickup and the bed is only 5 ft 7 plus I have a toolbox in it and all my gear so a deer doesn't even fit.

you must be talking about helping Freddy out? :moon:

Last edited:
I had to do something similar to the plywood deal.

I had taken my buck from a few years ago to my parents to leave overnight. When i went back the next morning i was the only one there and could not get it in the truck ny myself. I ended up taking a ladder and leaning it up on the tailgate and just pulling the deer up the ladder. Sure saved alot of grief.

Hitch haul on the back of an old rusted '97 Blazer. Looks like crap but I don't have a pickup. HH's are rated for close to 500 lbs (standard 2" size) so they'll handle most any deer you can kill around IA pretty easy.

Pull, bearhugs, cusing and swearing,grunting,and pretty much blowing a nut. Normally I get someone to help. otherwise a rope around the horns and pull like heck

I use the cart handle on the tailgate method, but just drag the deer up the (inclined plane) cart and when the deer clears the tailgate the cart drops out. Then I throw the cart in on top of the deer.

I take the meat off the carcass in the field. Put it in bags,,,bags in truck. No sense hauling whole deer around.

I use a roller track that came out of the place I work. It is so easy you can't believe it. Usually I just pull the deer right up the track, but now we have a ice fishing sled that we use in snowy weather that I think would slide up the track even easier than the deer itself.

This works well:

137880i_ts.JPG

These work very well, and can be made pretty cheap if you know someone that has access to the materials. They are light enough for one person to handle. A friend and I had one made a few years ago before an antelope hunt. We needed something to hang the antelope when we processed them at camp. Since then it has been used to load deer in a truck, skin deer, hold up the front of a lawnmower to clean the deck, etc. :grin:

I want to make another one that is two pieces and will swivel. Mostly because my friend has it now and I never get to use it. ;)

I use a section of freight rollers, you now the kind the caseys truck drivers use to unload their stuff when they pull up to a store. Can't remember where I got it though.

Pupster

I usually just drive them up strapped to the 4-wheeler.

My dad is 58 and does the same as you, he has a piece of plywood he pulls out of the bed of his truck and uses it as a ramp. He says it works great.

Glen's deer handle. Just like the rope around the neck but it has a handle works great. Cost like $10-$15. Or you can make one with a piece of rope and something for a handle.

Top Bottom