Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Locked Up In Tama County

G

A student from Tama county gave his teacher this photo to send in and post on Iowa Whitetail.

Thanks for the pic!

togetherness.jpg

Congrats on finding such a rare occurance. Did the person find them dead or alive. I see they tagged the animals but you would have to tag them even if they were deceased. The chances of finding locked bucks are one in probally hundred thousand. Hope I someday get a chance to come alone such a seen!

Buckmaster56 out

I'd like to know the story on these. It is quite a sight. I heard of one a few years ago where one buck had died and the second buck was carrying the dead buck's head and shoulders with him. The rest of the body has rotted off. What a stinky messy trophy.

A solo bowhunter would be screwed if he shot one, he'd need another tag to put on the second buck!

Wow I can't believe how fast things like this can circulate. 10 minutes ago a friend of mine here at work came up to me and showed me the same picture and another one and told me the story. The hunter who shot them got them on my friends land. both bucks were alive when he walked up to them. He shot one and then called a buddy to come out and dispatch the other. I would say a once in a life time oppertunity. I'm going to have to go out and see them in person. I'm just glad that the guy found them cause one was in bad shape i guess If he would not have found them there would be two nice bucks found dead in a short time.

My students said they were locked up rather well......... It should make a great corner mount.........

A friend of mine in Polk County came across 2 live bucks locked together during 1st slug season and shot them both. He is going to get a corner mount, but he had a hard time finding a taxidermist interested in doing it.

Another friend of mine came across 2 dead bucks that were still locked together this fall too.

It must be the year for it.

IaCraig

Last spring while out scouting and preparing stand sites for bowhunting this fall my dad and I found these two bucks locked up in a isolated creek bottom. Actually we had our labs with us and they found them. There was nothing left except rotted skin and bones...aside from scores of flat black beetles in each skull. We found them in March, so I'm guessing they had been dead for 4 or 5 months. It was a terrible seen, we could smell it from 100 yds downwind. Sad to think things like this happen, not the way two great animals should go.

The racks were so tightly locked that my dad and I could not separate them until I sawed through the skullplate of one of the bucks ( my folded pruning saw was all I had). I always carry my 35 mm camera when not hunting, but of course on this day I forgot it. We came back a couple of days later with the racks and to get some pictures of the area. Unfortunately, coyotes had stopped by and completely removed one of the skeletons...hence only one in the picture. The larger racked buck scores in the high 180's-nontypical (his gross typical score as a 4x4 is 166") with his forked browtines he must have been one awesome buck running through the timber. The smaller buck scores 118 and had the larger skeleton of the two. I thought about getting them together, but decided to just mount the larger racked buck. My taxidermist is giving him a 'summer cape', should be done this spring.
Creek%20Bottom.jpg

Top Bottom