Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Logging Companies in SW Iowa

sethgade280

What companies are out there to log Walnuts out of a timber in SW iowa?? I have a bunch of venir walnut trees in the timber I would like to talk to a company about logging them out and the price.

Is this a good idea? The timber is the "park like" image. See alot of big bucks crusing during the rut, but I think thinning the trees and creating more bedding and brows might be good.

Anyone do this to your timber?? Is it worth the money, or not

If you got names and numbers that would be awesome.

Walnut

I have done some small harvests, sounds like walnut is a very good price right now, so might be a good idea.

It is my intention to look at a small harvest as well, Skip and few others on this site should be good resources!

Good luck!

There is a great great thread going right now. JW and Skip are great sources, letemgrow is too. We are also in the process of organizing a timber sale. I'd highly reccomend talking to a forester first before talking to any logger. Dad oraganized a meeting for me with a logger this weekend, I had NO idea he planned on doing that so we're doing it kinda backwards... talking to logger first (which is going to be interesting, I'm not sure how open I'm going to be to anything he has to say... hopefully he's a trustworthy guy but I feel like I'm going to go in with my guard up... :eek:) Then we'll get together with the forester.

Getting a foresters (whether private or Gov.) help, they'll tell you what trees are best to harvest now and which ones are still gaining in value by letting them grow. They also will help you get a competative bid on your product.

These are some great reads on selling trees and forestry in general...
http://www.iowadnr.gov/Environment/Forestry/WoodIndustryLogging.aspx

I should add... we are also interested in some good loggers in western Iowa!

Use for trees

Seth: One thing that I have done... and I plan on doing this in the future, is having some of my timber custom cut or milled into wood for a cabin.

You can take trees that are not of high quality and have someone mill the lumber for your future cabin or even to put in your "man cave" or even hardwood floors!

Hickory, oak, ash, aspen, all work well.

Just a thought

In a nutshell, quality walnut will attract buyers from a very long ways away, so your location is not necessary of huge importance.

I would encourage all landowners interested in selling timber to contact a reputable forester first. As with any business, some loggers are great and trustworthy, and others are not. Even if you are dealing with the best of the best logger, he's still trying to make money off you, so it helps to have a 'middle-man' on the deal.

It is almost NEVER a good idea to deal directly with a logger, especially when you are talking walnut. You are going to make your money back and more by hiring a forester to manage your sale. One logger may pay 2-3 times more than another logger... always get as many bids as you can.

Get a professionals opinion on your trees, and then either hire a forester to manage your sale or do it yourself (but do so cautiously). There are a lot of little things that can go wrong in a timber sale, so it is important to keep your guard up. Always get your money before they cut, mark your trees well, and make sure they sign a sale contract.

Great ideas guys. Hiring a forester is a great idea for me. I am out of state, so having a person helping would be great. Any forester you guys recommend? Go to the state??

sethgade280 said:
Great ideas guys. Hiring a forester is a great idea for me. I am out of state, so having a person helping would be great. Any forester you guys recommend? Go to the state??

I recommend contacting your district forester, who will write a forest stewardship plan for your property. The plan will outline recommendations on what you can do to get your property to best meet your goals and objectives. That may include a harvest, tsi, tree planting or other misc projects.

Once you have to plan from your DF (free of charge), hire a consultant or contracting forester to help implement the recommendations in your plan.

Good luck!

My grandfather has been logging for over 50 years now and ive had the chance to see first hand what selective cutting does for wildlife. The good outwieghs the bad in leeps and bounds. Hes 77 now so he does the contracts and has others to do the hard part but hed be worth the call. Jim Snider, Snider Logging, 515-432-1157 home and 515-689-9607 cell. He would have the same advice too, have the state forester look at your property first.

My grandfather has been logging for over 50 years now and ive had the chance to see first hand what selective cutting does for wildlife. The good outwieghs the bad in leeps and bounds. Hes 77 now so he does the contracts and has others to do the hard part but hed be worth the call. Jim Snider, Snider Logging, 515-432-1157 home and 515-689-9607 cell. He would have the same advice too, have the state forester look at your property first.

What town/city is he located?

Does he operate a mill?

Top Bottom