Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Logging impact

Fletch

On the property I hunt there is a 15 acre rectangular strip of timber that connects the land I hunt with some adjoining property. It is a travel corridor for deer moving from a good bedding area to a pond and clover field in my area. This weekend when I went to check stand sites, etc. the low maintenance road that leads back to this section was littered with large tree trunks and I could hear large equipment and chain saws in the timber. Question - I have a stand that takes advantage of the deer coming through this section on their way to the pond - will all the logging substantially change their travel patterns? Or will the tree tops actually attract deer for browze and bedding cover? Any opinions / experience? Thanks.

I had a similiar situation last year, and believe it or not, it actually made the hunting better. I had to change a few stand positions and trim some of the tree tops, but within a week after the logging was done, there were deer bedding in the tree tops.
yay.gif

I have to aggree with the above post, all it can do is help your odds in my opinion. Certain situations may prove that wrong but for the most part, it really helps the deer herd.

My experience with logging done properly has been nothing but positive for the deer hunting.

It may look bad at first, but hold your cards.

Logging was done to the timber I hunt about 3 years ago. It made it alittle harder to see through the timber because the timber floor was litered with the tops. But durring mid day, I've found that deer will bed in nooks and crannies between limbs of the tops. Pluse usually they cut down alot of oak trees, and there leaves stay on the tops long after there on the ground. So the leaves conseal them very good. So if you still hunt durring any gun season, take your binoculars and look in pockets of the tops so you don't get busted!!

good hunting
jason

Top Bottom