Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for a chocolate lab...no kidding this time

boacephus

Well, back in Nov, we signed the papers and we are now paying mortgage instead of rent. On the ride home, the wife said I could have my dog now.

Training wise I'm not sure though, should I wait till it's warmer and hence be easier to house break, but then it will be cold to do any field training. Should I house break in the cold, then have close to a 6-8month old to train this summer????

If anyone knows of any good breeders please let me know. I don't need top of the line, just your standard guarentees, hips and such. Around $450 max area.

Thanks in advance

Training is much easier in the spring. You will need to take advantage of their youth. However much can be taught inside if your house is big enough. My advice would be to wait until spring though.

i have a buddy with a litter of yellows that will be ready in january. i wanted to wait until spring too, but i will be giving them a pretty hard look

Darn it, I was hoping for spring not to be the better option. Oh well I suppose that will give me more time to prepare and research. Just for those that don't know I'm in the agronomy area and will have to wait till late spring. Sorta like bow hunting, you get a new bow and have to wait 5 months till you can go hunt with it, lol. It appears I need to do research anyhow though, I figured they would had to have been 6-8 months old to start field training.

Any good reading material anyone can suggest?

Thanks again.

Waiting till spring will allow you to also research people an their pups. No need to get rammy and end up with a dog you'd 'settle for' rather than the dog you really want.

How's that Tribute shooting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boacephus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">give me more time to prepare and research. </div></div>
Exactly.
I would suggest getting out and start looking at breeders. Start talking to people. The #1 thing I was told when I was picking out a dog was to get a good look at mother and father. Hunt over them if possible.

I am not a dog breeder by no means but I belive I will be having a litter in the next couple week's.I wasnt going to say anything tell they were on the ground to make sure what i had(black,chocolate,yellow)The female is my yellow, She's a shed horn dog that i got from a man in kansas.If you look back a couple months in North American whitetail there's an article on roger and his dog's.The male is my brother's I must say he is one of the best bird dog's i've been around.I looked at some other male's but I belive his was the wright pick for what kind of pup's I want.THey are both Reg.dog's if someone want's to see pick's maybe I can get Randy to put them up for me /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
The price will be right am not in it to make a killing just wanted a pup out of these two..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> if someone want's to see pick's maybe I can get Randy to put them up for me /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
</div></div>

Bring them over. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Breeding has alot to do with it, however I think you get out what you put in. My chocolate came from a gun-shy sire and bitch that had never been hunted. She is one of the hardest hunting dogs I've seen. IMO, if the dog is for you as a hunting partner and then as a house/farm dog, I'd get the most dominate female of the litter. Females tend to listen better to men (in dogs only, haha), male dogs can try to compete with a man. If it's more for home/farm and then hunting go with a male. Do some reading about selecting dogs before you get a dog.
Read up on training, decide early if your going to use a e-coller, be ready to spend a lot of time with your dog. Most of all, be ready for a good time, I wouldn't trade my dogs for nothing.

Okay so through my research, sitting at work not doing much today, you start the training instantly with the pup, that much is a given. Around 5-6 months is when you can and should start some field work. With the timeline, it seems now through March would be the best time. Apr - Jun will not be time spent on training.

I'm trying not to be jumpy but I have only ever had one dog, a blak lab that showed up at the door, and I feel like a kid at Christmas, lol. I know where she came from but thats a long story and the feds and locals told me to take her to the pound or keep her. Great family dog and companion, unfortunately she was hit by a car while playing with neighboring farms dog. Right now I'm just controling the urge to call up #'s out of the classifieds.

Hunting lineage isn't really a prerequirement, it will be primarily a family dog. One that can go to the park with us, steal space on the couch, and stand some tormenting from my daughter, that and the occasional scarf or something goofy the wife will do. One that will also make the occasional spring romp through the woods for shrooms and sheds. One that will also accompany me for a slim occasion upland hunt. I've heard most won't hunt well if not hunted often, so my expectations there aren't to high.

Keep the pointers coming.

Matt, haven't really thought about it but apperently pretty good. There wasn't any upgrades or modifications on my list during my yearly trip to Cabelas. Late harvest, wife going full time, and daughter cut my season and I haven't logged half the hrs in stand as previous yrs, course you know a few things about time constaints this year huh, /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif in case I missed saying it congrats on the additions, I haven't even made it out to your dads in awhile.

Pointers.

If your not going to buy a "hunting dog" then dont worry about buying the best "hunting dog."
How the pups are raised in the first 8weeks would be my first concern. I would be looking for a family/farm raised litter, not a professional kennel. Next if it doesnt matter to you male or female, I would go female. Less running when the neighbors are "in the mood." Of course getting them cut will take alot of that out of male. Having a big dominate male may also lead to some motions that may not be appropriate for your young daughter or infront of company. I would still say once you've found a litter you like, try to get out a time or two before you take one home to watch the pups with the rest of the litter. Taking a mediorce pup may be the best for a "family pet." Alot of hunters want the alpha male, smallest female, largest pup, ect... Who cares pick the one that you and or the family want.

Training: come, sit, fetch, shake, go lay down can all start the day you bring it home. Other training: hunting commands can then come after the basics are taught.

Good luck

The only advice that I have is if you want a chocolate get one from a litter that the chocolate just happens to be in. By that I mean I'd look for one that has parents that are black X yellow, not chocolate X chocolate. Problems arise when they're bred specifically for color. Even if you don't have dreams of a hunting brag dog I'd still get the best breeding you can afford. Since labs are so popular irresponsible breeding has led to alot of genetic problems. Buying one from a reputable breeder could save you a headache in the future.

I would wait until spring hands down! Coming into the coldest time of year would be miserable trying to train a pup. I think it would be much easier on you, the wife, and the pup if you waited till spring.

Top Bottom