Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for info on gun safes

cda77

I'm in the research stage of buying a gun safe. Just wondering what some of you have and what you like/dislike about it. Any info is appreciated.

Think you will ever move? I don't own a Zanotti, but will be purchasing one in the future. They are made in Waterloo and are about as good as it gets in my opinion.

Fire rating is crap, IMO, unless you live next door to a fire station. If you live in town, maybe. Rural, forget it.

muddy said:
Buy bigger than you think you need.

Gun safes usually only can hold about half the amount of guns they claim they can hold, unless you pile the guns on top of each other.

Have a liberty, 30 long gun capacity, fire rating 1200F fr 90 minutes (doesn't really matter much).

Things I like:
-4sided bolt coverage,
- dial lock (really disliked the electronic locks but that is preference).

Things To think about:
-Make sure you discuss with dealer whether you can install a non-factory Door storage for pistols. Many safe manufacturers void the warranty if you add this as an aftermarket part if it involves removing inner liner for install
-Go big. I thought 30 gun safe would be plenty. Wsh I would have bought the 45 as it fills up quick
-built in lighting and dehumidifier is nice perk if it doesn't cost you significantly more

FYI cabeas is running their annual sale right now online, can save an easy $500 or more on many safes.

Kratz

Last edited:
I experienced the "capacity" problem that many have mentioned. So I can echo the "buy bigger than you need" comments.

I think the capacity of my safe was listed for guns without scopes. Scoped guns don't seem to fit real well either, so check that out if you can.

Kratz mentioned possibly having lights inside. I keep a flashlight sitting on top of my safe; lights would be a plus.

I went really low end on my safe though, so I got what I paid for and it does the job.

I have a buddy who puts a pressure switch and rope lighting in all of his safes. He has 4!!! :D When you open the door the lights come on automatically.

I agree with Randy in that worrying about the fire rating isn't a high priority. Most FDs won't get a house fire out in less than 30-45 minutes and they won't let you go back in to get anything, anyway.

I have a Cannon C35 and love it. Nothing bad to say about it other than I've outgrown it, but I guess that's not the safe's fault! I have one of the pistol holders that slips over the top and bottom of the door cover and it works great. No warranty voiding with it. On that note, one of the biggest things to look at is the warranty policy. That's why I have a Cannon. Its been YEARS since I've researched other brands, but at one time, with most brands (except Cannon), if you had a warranty issue (attempted break in, for example), you will have to pay to have your safe shipped back to them (usually around $250) and then pay another $250 to have it shipped back to you. If you never have a warranty issue, its no big deal. If you are unfortunate enough to have a warranty issue on a good quality safe, you are another $500 invested. With Cannon, they cover ALL shipping costs for ALL warranty issues. Other safe companies may have stepped up to compete with Cannon on that, but I strongly encourage anyone to research the warranty over the fire-rating.

That, and like everyone else is saying, get bigger than you think you need. I'm trying to convince my wife that another gun safe is exactly what we need before stuff gets piled in closets and under beds.

Thanks for all the input so far guys. Good stuff. Feel free to keep it coming. One i have looked at is the Stack-On Elite. Holds 48 guns which obviously gets diminished as soon as you install any of the shelving. Anyone know anything about this safe? The price on it is $1199. Another big question is the electronic keypad vs. The dial type. Any input on that? Again, thanks for your time.

Forgot to mention that I have an electronic lock on mine and love it. I'm on my 3rd 9v battery in about 8 or 9 years so they don't eat up batteries. Never had any problems. I think it comes down to personal preference and convenience for you.

I've looked at a few different safes over the years, and when I do finally get one, it will be a Cannon.

Forgot to mention that I have an electronic lock on mine and love it. I'm on my 3rd 9v battery in about 8 or 9 years so they don't eat up batteries. Never had any problems. I think it comes down to personal preference and convenience for you.

I like the idea of the electronic lock too. Just wondered if there is a risk of the battery going dead and not being able to get it open? Probably a dumb question, but i haven't researched that yet.

I like the idea of the electronic lock too. Just wondered if there is a risk of the battery going dead and not being able to get it open? Probably a dumb question, but i haven't researched that yet.

Not a problem at all. I'd have to look at my manual to remind myself what the indicator is, but it lets you know when the battery is low on juice. At any rate, even if the battery is completely drained, you just pop the front cover of the key pad off and replace the battery. Slick as snot! :way:

And here are a couple of pics of my Cannon C35 before I outgrew it. You can see the pistol holder I described previously.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Not a problem at all. I'd have to look at my manual to remind myself what the indicator is, but it lets you know when the battery is low on juice. At any rate, even if the battery is completely drained, you just pop the front cover of the key pad off and replace the battery. Slick as snot! :way:

When the bomb goes off releasing that huge EMF that wipes out all electronics, let me know how that e lock works for ya.

:rolleyes:

When the bomb goes off releasing that huge EMF that wipes out all electronics, let me know how that e lock works for ya.

:rolleyes:

If that wasn't such a good point, I'd tell you to quit watching so much "Doomsday Preppers", Randy!! :moon:

Top Bottom