Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for opinions on morning hunts

achunter

When walking to the stand in the dark, do you guys use a flashlight to help navigate more quietly or is it best to not use a light.??

I use one to get to the tree, but I have to travel through quite a bit of thick timber most of the time. I think any deer that see the light will be close enough that they would have been spooked by my noise anyway. I generally hang and hunt so once I get to the tree I'll turn it off and setup in the dark. I've tried going in without one before and I broke so many branches and took a couple branches right in the eye so I decided it wasn't worth it!

Unless you have an unusual set up where you can get in basically silently most of us hunters are kidding ourselves if we think we are sneaking in. That is one reason I use a light as needed, because I believe they have already been disturbed anyway. Also, when was the last time you saw deer afraid of light? I don't think they associate it with people. I have actually held a light in deer's eyes as I approached them and got much closer than I should have been able to with out one. The 1 million candle power spot light does not disturb them either. That is from a road, so maybe they are used to lights in those locations. All that said, I want to make my presence known as little as possible and if I can quietly get in without a light I will. However, I will gladly use a light to be more quiet.

I use a HLamp, and recently decided to use a red filter ( transparent floral wrap--- like cellophane) over the front of the light. It's not as bright with the filter (unfortunately), but studies show that deer have problems viewing the red color spectrum (orange, pink etc.). Hopefully, it will now come off as less intrusive. But I get to the stand pretty early to get settled in.

I wear a headlamp on the walk in but i very rarely turn it on. Our enry and exit routes are pretty spot on and most of our stands are acccesable by creeks or dried up small feeder creeks.
Some of the stands in the timber where you cant avoid making noise i will wait until i can actually see and as crazy as this sounds, i will run and stop on my way to the sounds. A person walking the same pace sounds exactly like a person walking.
I figure if im going to make noise anyway, i may as well sound like any other critter than a human. I still feel dumb doing it, but it seems to work

Some of the stands in the timber where you cant avoid making noise i will wait until i can actually see and as crazy as this sounds, i will run and stop on my way to the sounds.

I do this as well. I also do a fawn bleat periodically as I pause. Don't know if it helps or not, but seems like I hear less snorts.

Bill Winke responded to this recently. Basically it comes down to how much noise you do and do not make getting into the stand when going into timber specifically. So if it's a light you use, ok. He said he waits until it's just light enough to see the ground, the he goes into the timber.

Bill Winke responded to this recently. Basically it comes down to how much noise you do and do not make getting into the stand when going into timber specifically. So if it's a light you use, ok. He said he waits until it's just light enough to see the ground, the he goes into the timber.

This^^^^
I want to be able to see deer on my way in, so I won't walk right into the buck I'm hunting, without even knowing.

I wear a headlamp on the walk in but i very rarely turn it on. Our enry and exit routes are pretty spot on and most of our stands are acccesable by creeks or dried up small feeder creeks.
Some of the stands in the timber where you cant avoid making noise i will wait until i can actually see and as crazy as this sounds, i will run and stop on my way to the sounds. A person walking the same pace sounds exactly like a person walking.
I figure if im going to make noise anyway, i may as well sound like any other critter than a human. I still feel dumb doing it, but it seems to work
I've heard this tactic works during the rut, even mid day (assuming the deer don't see you), because you can sound like a chase is going on.

I usually have a cap light on to see, which also helps to catch a deer's eyes so I can hopefully stop before busting it. I have actually been within 20 yards of decent bucks in the dark multiple times without spooking them, I believe because they don't know what I am. Not sure if it's because they are mesmerized by the light or what. One nice trick too is to pull up your binos and you can get a look at them, if close enough, when you wouldn't be able to without the light.

I usually end up getting to the stand just as I can start seeing, either because I get stopped by deer or because I'm late getting out. But here's a question, if you wait until you can start seeing to go in, do you come out when you can still see or wait until after dark? I have usually stayed until after dark, which sometimes is due to deer coming thru at almost dark and then having to wait them out.

This is a great, another thing to add to the bag of tricks. Although this doesn't work too well if you're like me and you hang and hunt 75% of the time.

Another thing to keep in mind is the area you are hunting. If it's in between a food source and a bedding area then you might want to be in the stand so you can catch deer moving at first light, thus using a light to get in super early. Each hunting scenario is a little different so I think it's important not get locked into the same routine for each one.

I use a HLamp, and recently decided to use a red filter ( transparent floral wrap--- like cellophane) over the front of the light. It's not as bright with the filter (unfortunately), but studies show that deer have problems viewing the red color spectrum (orange, pink etc.). Hopefully, it will now come off as less intrusive. But I get to the stand pretty early to get settled in.

You can buy headlamps that come with a red light for about $15 at Walmart. I use them all fishing season at night.

Top Bottom