Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for some Largemouth

Thefrgt10

PMA Member
So I recently moved down to polk city to get closer to my job and am curious if anyone around des moines have any decent places to catch largemouth. I practice nothing but catch and release, they are far too much fun to catch then kill.

Now I know there are some larger bodies of water around here, including big creek in my back yard, that just get hammered. Im looking for maybe a few smaller places that might get overlooked. I do have a small 2 man bass boat which works great on smaller lakes or ponds.

Perhaps some of these larger waters are awesome with a boat, and thats the kind of info Im lookin for. Or possibly if anyone owns a farm pond around here or knows of a gravel pit that produces nice any info would be appreciated.

Feel free to private message me if you dont want to post publicly. I can understand that. Im just lookin for a few good spots to maybe hook into a few good bucketmouths this spring and summer.

Thanks in advance guys.

I've heard Big Creek is good, and has some good fish in it. Most of the spots I've seen while being on a boat look to be on the west and north sides where lake access isn't as accessible by foot.

I think you pretty much summed it up. If you want to find unpressured fish then you should look into private ponds. Being close to DM though everything public probably gets hit regularly. Although I've never fished it, the river above and below saylorville may be worth looking at when the water levels are up enough for boat traffic.

Top Bottom