Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking to move to Iowa - best county?

Don't rule out western Iowa. Pottawattamie county has a pretty good deer population. I retired from the Council Bluffs PD 2 years ago. The authorized strength is around 115, which gives you a better chance of getting hired than a department of 30 or 40. You might have to be patient, as the turnover isn't real high, but they will hire. If you are looking for action, try Council Bluffs. If you want a big department, try Omaha PD. They allow their officers to live in Iowa. Their strength is around 800 now I believe. Again, apply there only if you are looking for action. Pott. county sheriff's department has about 60 or 70 sworn. Both CBPD and the Pott county sheriff's department are pretty good departments. Omaha is very political, but not something you have to worry about until you start to make rank.

Omaha PD is the last place I would EVER want to work at..Turn on the TV every night and see someone new getting shot. Council Bluffs wouldn't be nearly as bad. Then you have the Bluffs, that's if you are willing to pay a pretty penny to live there.

Omaha will average about 40 homicides a year, which is low compared to a similar sized city on either coast. That is why you sign up for the job, to work the calls and the cases. If that isn't your thing, then work somewhere else. Live inside the city limits of Council Bluffs and your taxes will be high, but they don't require that. You may live within 20 miles of the city limits. Taxes are lower in the county. I have lived in the county for almost 30 years.

Omaha will average about 40 homicides a year, which is low compared to a similar sized city on either coast. That is why you sign up for the job, to work the calls and the cases. If that isn't your thing, then work somewhere else. Live inside the city limits of Council Bluffs and your taxes will be high, but they don't require that. You may live within 20 miles of the city limits. Taxes are lower in the county. I have lived in the county for almost 30 years.

You and Erick are both right. Being a rookie I wouldn't mind diving into the action for a few years and then tapering off if its in my blood to do so. I also wouldn't mind a smaller town/city where a guy can build good relationships and be able to patrol the country side on a night shift shinning for....poachers off course (and not big bucks)! I guess I better check first to see if shinning is even allowed before a man of the law is out breaking the law. Thanks for the advice Kam582. I've been researching some departments already in Iowa-just need to make some phone calls and get a feel for whats available as far as jobs go.

You and Erick are both right. Being a rookie I wouldn't mind diving into the action for a few years and then tapering off if its in my blood to do so. I also wouldn't mind a smaller town/city where a guy can build good relationships and be able to patrol the country side on a night shift shinning for....poachers off course (and not big bucks)! I guess I better check first to see if shinning is even allowed before a man of the law is out breaking the law. Thanks for the advice Kam582. I've been researching some departments already in Iowa-just need to make some phone calls and get a feel for whats available as far as jobs go.
No shining in Iowa. Most small towns in eastern Iowa have a police force so small they leave an empty patrol car sitting on the town through street during the off shift. If you are able to find a job in a small town; you won't be making big wages.

A weapon is up to the discretion of the officer.
Andy even let Barney Fife carry a pistol. I can't believe the police department sends them to weapons training every other year, and allows them the choice of carrying or not. I know state patrol has to carry weapons.

cedar creek said:
Andy even let Barney Fife carry a pistol. I can't believe the police department sends them to weapons training every other year, and allows them the choice of carrying or not. I know state patrol has to carry weapons.

I'm pretty sure that he meant the weapon the spot lighter would have- not whether or not the cop had one.

I'm pretty sure that he meant the weapon the spot lighter would have- not whether or not the cop had one.

Correct Timekiller.

Talking with the CO's at numerous hunter safety classes they
say that a tire iron could be constituted as a weapon for a violation
while shining.

Pocket knife could also be a weapon while shining etc.

Yeah, That's what he meant! He's pursuing a career in law enforcement, and wants to extend his career into conservation. When will he have time to hunt?

cedar creek said:
Yeah, That's what he meant! He's pursuing a career in law enforcement, and wants to extend his career into conservation. When will he have time to hunt?

Probably whenever he wants-at least if he goes into conservation- those guys hunt more than anyone I know.

Good luck as far as conservation law enforcement in concerned Iowas budget sucks, in some areas 1 officer is currently covering more than 1 county.

Top Bottom