Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

looking to purchase some new cold gear clothing

IAhunter24

I am looking to purchase a set of new cold gear for those chilly days in the stand. What gear works well in temperatures below 40 and even below freezing for those late season bow hunts?

Layers. I like to start with UA Cold Gear and then layer from there. Usually, even on cold days I walk to the stand in my UA shirt only, maybe one additional layer and then pack everything else in and add more once I am to the stand.

kratz

I used under armor but this year I decided to layer with merino wool from many folk's suggestions on here- many suggesting its better than ua. I got minus 33 brand merino & obviously I haven't tested it but feel confident it'll beat my ua.

I had UA for my base layer and when walking in, I would sweat my arse off and with the UA stuff, it wouldn't let that sweat breathe through and I would get chilled pretty bad. I then got some Merino wool and it's not even close how much warmer that stuff keeps you. When they say it wicks away moisture, it does! I have talked to alot of waterfowl guys here in SD and they wear that when they duck hunt and have sometimes got water in over top of their waders and the merino wool still kept them warm. I have merino socks and some very thin merino gloves. I would suggest a fleece like material for overtop of the base...the fleece will allow that moisture wicking base layer to breathe easier. my 2 cents

Sligh1 said:
I used under armor but this year I decided to layer with merino wool from many folk's suggestions on here- many suggesting its better than ua. I got minus 33 brand merino & obviously I haven't tested it but feel confident it'll beat my ua.

I used to use under armour, but switched to Minus 33 a few years ago, and it has been MUCH better! I have never even contemplated wearing UA again..

I also have an HBS, which has been on of the single best cold-weather purchases I have ever made!

For that Minus 33 stuff, is it supposed to be a tight fit? I am generally a "tweener" between small and medium when it comes to clothing. I'm roughly 5'9 and 140. I was looking at the midweight turtleneck top and the midweight bottoms. What size would you guys recommend?

cold gear purchase

do yourself a favor if you are gonna hunt the cold stuff (tree stand in january) buy a heater body suit. you will not get cold, period. no layers,no guessing, nothing but staying power no matter how cold. last cold weather garment you will ever buy. i am not in anyway affiliated with them. Just a very thankful customer.

For that Minus 33 stuff, is it supposed to be a tight fit? I am generally a "tweener" between small and medium when it comes to clothing. I'm roughly 5'9 and 140. I was looking at the midweight turtleneck top and the midweight bottoms. What size would you guys recommend?

Its not supposed to fit as tightly as under armour or anything, so I would say you are probably a medium. I am 5'8 and 175 and I wear the mediums.

Merino wool as a base layer against your skin, and then layer over top with a layer or two but make sure one of the outer layers is some sort of clothing that keeps wind from penetrating. Merino wool is amazing and if you do this it will make a huge differece. UA is junk for keeping you warm compared to merino wool. Core4element has some amazing clothing and you can find it on camofire.com every once in a while at great prices. It is comparable to Sitka clothing but much more affordable. You can also go to their website and check the stuff out. But hands down merino wool is best product on the market.

chili7 said:
Merino wool as a base layer against your skin, and then layer over top with a layer or two but make sure one of the outer layers is some sort of clothing that keeps wind from penetrating. Merino wool is amazing and if you do this it will make a huge differece. UA is junk for keeping you warm compared to merino wool. Core4element has some amazing clothing and you can find it on camofire.com every once in a while at great prices. It is comparable to Sitka clothing but much more affordable. You can also go to their website and check the stuff out. But hands down merino wool is best product on the market.

Where do you go about buying the merino wool base layer?

Merino wool is amazing to wear in winter. It is very warm and comfortable and the best advantage of using it is, it keeps away from sweating. The markets in Australia are very famous for the woolen clothes and to get at a very cheap prices.

I am looking to purchase a set of new cold gear for those chilly days in the stand. What gear works well in temperatures below 40 and even below freezing for those late season bow hunts?

On Black Friday, I purchased, from Cabela's, there Elite Fleece bibs and Parka. It's quiet, but no super quiet. It is however warm. On New Year's morning, I was sitting in a tree in 5 degree temps, with just the bibs and parka, balacava, and Cabelas version of under armor. Stayed plenty warm. I wouldn't recommend it if you are going to be doing much walking, way too hot and heavy.

I've been a big fan of the Rocky brand of "Heavy Weight" thermals. They are made out of micro fleece and I have yet to be dissappointed by them. not to mention you can get a Pants and Shirt for $30 at wally world.

I've tried pretty much everything and I still get cold, I haven't tried the minus 33 though. UA definitely doesn't work for me. The best thing that keeps me warm the longest so far is wearing a Redhead Axe wicking layer to the stand, then covering that with fleece and several layers of whatever, and then wool jacket and pants. That will keep me warm for a few hours but I'll still eventually freeze. Next year I'm getting a Heater Body Suit, or just go early muzz.

Top Bottom