Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Loophole....Kind of

LYON

PMA Member
Here's the scenario. My cousin who is 19 wants to join me this winter to do some coyote calling. I'm all for it! He doesn't hunt and has never taken hunters safety so getting a hunting license is not an option. BUT, you can hunt coyotes with a furbearers license which can be purchased without taking hunters safety. Seems kind of odd that the law would allow someone to gun hunt without having taken hunters safety. I understand that, in general, coyote hunting isn't nearly the same as deer hunting with the amount of people out and about or the amount of prey running around.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

I think you still have to have a hunting license and habitat fee even with the fur bearers license unless you are a landowner and hunting on your own land. I could be wrong though.

I think you still have to have a hunting license and habitat fee even with the fur bearers license unless you are a landowner and hunting on your own land. I could be wrong though.

You have to have a habitat stamp (remember when you actually used to get a stamp?) to get a furbearers. No hunting license required.

From the Regs:

Furharvesters - All residents and
nonresidents regardless of age must have a
Furharvester License to trap or hunt furbearing
animals. Residents 16 to 64 years old and
all nonresidents regardless of age must also
have paid the Habitat Fee. A Hunting License
is not needed to hunt furbearers. Coyote
and groundhog may be hunted with either a
Furharvester License or a Hunting License.

They will also let you buy hunting licsence without hunter safety as well. Found that out 20+ yrs ago. But they will right you a ticket and take your licsence

Top Bottom