Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lost Land Permission

I

IowaBuckSlayer2013

OK so this fall is of to a bad start. I have had permission to hunt a specific farm for the last 10 years. I was going to that farm on Saturday to take my nephew out to see if we could bag him his first deer ever with a bow, upon arriving I notice no trespassing signs and warnings that the land is being monitored with cell device cameras. So I leave and we go to some public land. I called the owner today to find out what happened. Now remember this gal is retired and counts on the money coming in from the rancher who keeps cattle there in the fall and the farmers who help farm her land. I tell her who I am and that I am kinda of worried about what has taken place in the last few months as we hunted this land for spring turkey. She goes on to tell me that she did infact close the land this year for a number of reasons. Reason 1 someone on the bordering farms keeps cutting her fence and stealing her ranchers cattle. In the last few years I guess he has lost 1-2 cattle each time. She is unsure if someone stole them alive or shot them and took them out. 2nd reason she had a complaint last shotgun season that a a group of 50 or so people walked onto her land and did a full push of her land. She proceeds to tell me that she did not and will not give permission to people who hunt deer with shotgun. She said turkey hunting with gun is fine but deer season is open to archers only. I told her I respect her wishes to shut it down and will still offer any help from here on out to fix fences when damaged and if she needs farming help to just call. I told her I will not be one of those pesty hunters who are calling every time they see a different truck out there. I always carried my permission slip in my bag encase I encountered another hunter out there on the weekend who also has permission. She said she understands and in the next week or so will be having her son get in contact with me to see what we can work out. How do you determine if the damage and theft is being done buy neighboring hunters or those who also had permission? If the fences are being cut in the back on the same side or what not, wouldn't that make you assume that its the same person with the same MO committing the crime? Well with this all being said I am back to looking for land to hunt in plymouth county as the land is somewhat sacred there.

This is a good example of why I choose to not hunt ground if they gave someone else permission. I'm not going to be the fall guy or have my hunts screwed up. I'd offer to lease the ground from her.

Leasing is a slippery slope, hope you have lots of cash to keep paying more. If its a tight area word will get out fast and someone will try to outbid you going forward. I would try to work it out without using that word. Nothing wrong with sharing with other hunters, most aren't crooks. I would say its someone else taking the cattle, say a neighbor or a neighbors buddy. As to the 50 gun hunters, sounds farfetched, but that is a wild stretch of hunting. Try to get it closed to gun and help keep an eye out.

I talked to her about what her new plans are and she said she's going to try weekly rates of 1500$ I am starting to think it's more of a money thing now.

How many acres? I know deer hunting is getting expensive, and there's probably lots of places that will cost you that for a week long hunt, but yikes! I'd be interested to know if someone pays that kind of money for early October. Early November wouldn't surprise me. Sounds like she may have figured out what she has, or that's what she thinks the trouble is worth. I would have to walk away because a) don't have the available funds, and b) wouldn't want to pay it anyway. If I had to pay that kind of money for a week, I'd be heading west for some different game (not sure if that would cover the cost of other hunts). Wouldn't be able to do many of them, if any, so I'd make it be something different than I have done or could do the rest of my life (even if only on public). If she can get that, more power to her, I guess.

sounds like she doesnt want anyone out there period to me!
This could be it, but willing to take that amount for the trouble if anyone bites.

Last edited:
Price of corn is down. Poor lady has to make some money somehow. Good luck getting 15K/week... :rolleyes: or just maybe, she's blowin smoke up your nose... ;)

sad that our sport is getting sold out to the highest bidder! ticks me off...

I talked to her for over an hour and it's a shame that with my 14 year old nephew starting to hunt and this happens. We teach the kids to respect the farmers and their property and always ask for permission prior to seasons. I find it very rude to be in full camo and approach a farmer and ask for permission to hunt their land. We have sent this gal numerous gift cards,prepaid visas,etc for allowing us to hunt their land. I have to agree that I am going to have to reach deep in my pockets if I plan on getting back on this piece of land,which I don't have the pockets to begin with.

Farming & ranching is traditionally a TOUGH way to make a living. OK, for a couple years with corn/bean prices pretty high it might not have been too tough but still... I really can't blame anyone who sees a desirable renewable resource as a way to make a few extra bucks. See pheasant hunting in SD, deer, antelope or elk on private ground anywhere west of the Mizzou, etc. etc.... It's capitalism!!! Check out anywhere capitalism doesn't reign and you will pay even more, if you can even hunt at all. Not happy with it, but it's a fact of life! If you own the land, hunting is free. If not, it may not be, at least not for ever. All about your priorities. Work hard, save your money & buy your own, then nobody can ever stop you from hunting it. At least as long as the second amendment is still the law of the land!

Good looking piece of ground but, if she can get $1500/week for that land, I may think about leasing some of my ground out as a way to come up with a down payment on some more. ground. :D

Farming & ranching is traditionally a TOUGH way to make a living. OK, for a couple years with corn/bean prices pretty high it might not have been too tough but still... I really can't blame anyone who sees a desirable renewable resource as a way to make a few extra bucks. See pheasant hunting in SD, deer, antelope or elk on private ground anywhere west of the Mizzou, etc. etc.... It's capitalism!!! Check out anywhere capitalism doesn't reign and you will pay even more, if you can even hunt at all. Not happy with it, but it's a fact of life! If you own the land, hunting is free. If not, it may not be, at least not for ever. All about your priorities. Work hard, save your money & buy your own, then nobody can ever stop you from hunting it. At least as long as the second amendment is still the law of the land!

Good looking piece of ground but, if she can get $1500/week for that land, I may think about leasing some of my ground out as a way to come up with a down payment on some more. ground. :D

I will trade you the neighbors daughter for permission to hunt.....

Farming & ranching is traditionally a TOUGH way to make a living. OK, for a couple years with corn/bean prices pretty high it might not have been too tough but still... I really can't blame anyone who sees a desirable renewable resource as a way to make a few extra bucks. See pheasant hunting in SD, deer, antelope or elk on private ground anywhere west of the Mizzou, etc. etc.... It's capitalism!!! Check out anywhere capitalism doesn't reign and you will pay even more, if you can even hunt at all. Not happy with it, but it's a fact of life! If you own the land, hunting is free. If not, it may not be, at least not for ever. All about your priorities. Work hard, save your money & buy your own, then nobody can ever stop you from hunting it. At least as long as the second amendment is still the law of the land! Good looking piece of ground but, if she can get $1500/week for that land, I may think about leasing some of my ground out as a way to come up with a down payment on some more. ground. :D

Where is your ground?

Top Bottom