Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Low at a hundred

nginth

I was introduced to the sport of muzzleloading this fall by a friend of mine. I bought a knight disc 50 cal. with warne quick detach rings and a burriss 3 by 9 fullfield 2. I'm shooting a 240 grain T/c XTP with two 50 grain pyrodex pellets. The problem, I have had is that I shot about 1 ft low at a hundred yards with the scope adjusted all the way up. I have tried just about everything, including switching the rings around. I even went as far as shooting three pellets with the same results ( a foot low at a hundred. Does anyone have a soluton to this problem? With all the money I have into my gun I really dont want to shim it, I feel it should be right on at a hundred.

Help

I had this happen to me last year while trying to sight in my MK-85. It turned out that I rings tightened unevenly. One side was tightened all the way down and the other side had a huge gap between the top ring and the bottom ring. I don't know if this is your problem because I was shooting too far to the right but maybe it'll make you look at something different.

It could be that you got a factory reject type of gun that has a flaw in it? Good luck, not getting something to pattern is hell.

MW

Muddy,
How do you like your mk-85? I have a chance to buy a stainless model (new) for around $100. Can you shoot pellots, or powder only?
I have never had a muzzleloader, but am thinking of giving it a try instead of shotgunning.
Thanks,
BOWDUDE

I am no expert with Knight muzzle Loaders, however it has been my experience with high powers and scopes (including Leupold) that sometimes you have to do some extra work.
Why are you so against shimming???? I'd suggest talking to a gunsmith to see if some different mounts or a different scope might give you some adjustments. By the way, over the years I've had to send Buris, Simmons and Leupold scopes back to the factory because they had problems holding zero. (reticle shot loose) Do you know your scope isn't bad???
Good Luck, I know this can be frustrating.

I've had this problem on high-powers as well. I shot my '06 with a 4x Bushnell for about 10 years, and when I switched it up to a 6x from a different manufacturer I could not adjust it low enough. I ended up shimming it and have not had a problem since.

This may or may not help, but try running your rectical from all the way at the bottom,( the way it should be now) all the way to the top, counting the number of clicks, or marks. Then turn back 1/2 of those marks or clicks. This should center the elevation rectical line. Then try shooting at 25yds to see if it's close. If it is, back up to 50, or 100yds again.

I had a problem a long time ago, and through away what I think was a good scope. On Win Model 64 the scope bases were different hights and I couldn't get it to shoot low enough. I was just a dumb kid but discovered sometime later what I think my problem was.

Also how was your rifle grouping? If it groups well you can eliminate your rifle from the problem.

Good luck! CH

BOWDUDE-

$100?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I, uh, think you shouldn't buy the gun, but instead let me know where this guy is and I'll, uh, take care of it, uh, for you. =)

That is a supurb price man! about 1/4 what I paid for mine 4 years ago! You will have no problems with that gun and pellats. I shoot 100 grains (2 pellats) and a 304 grain remington bullet. Patterns beautifully and I love the gun like no other.

MW

Ummm, P-E-L-L-E-T-S, that is. 4 years of college and a bill to go with it and I still can't spell.

=)

Top Bottom