Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

low shot, need advice

buck160

Hey guys, shot a good deer this morning, need some advice.

shot was a 40 yard shot, 5-6 inches behind front leg where brown and white meet on the belly. deer then ran 50 yards stopped and stood like a statue for 5 minutes. deer then walked another 40 or so yards, stopped and stood like a statue for another 5 minutes. deer then walked 60 yards, stopped and stood for another couple of minutes, each time he stopped he kinda hunched his back. I know the shot was extremely low, anyone have this kind of experience and any ideas if i have a chance of recoverying or will the deer die eventually. thanks for the help, feel free to ask questions. looking at a deer anatomy chart it looks like i caught the bottom of stomach or diaphragm. Thanks guys.

sounds like a possible gut shot to me by the way you describe him to be ''hunching''... smell the arrow if you can find it.. it's plenty cold today.. i would at least wait till tonight or even tomorrow morning to look for him

Sounds like a gut shot to me as well. Lots of time and a grid search strategy (assuming the blood trail is sparse) and you should recover him. Good luck!

NWBuck

Leave him be Ross! No rain forecasted, I'd give him until the morning in all honesty. If you hit him as low as you think and assuming you were in a treestand, you didn't tear up a whole lot. Sounds like a gut shot but not like a mid-body gutshot that wreaks havoc on the insides. Give him some time and good luck!

My brother shot a buck 2 years ago in the gut, as it was perviously said a "mid body Gut shot and it latterly torn him to pieces inside. he only went 60 yards and bedding down and took bout a hour or so to finally lose enough blood to die but we did get the buck and is now on our wall. good luck in finding the deer! nothing worse than bumping a deer and not finding it again. had it happen last year! it's hard to wait but sometimes thats all what you have to do to enjoy the huge reward in the end by putting your hands on that them!

Sounds like a gut shot to me also. The temps are cool enough that I would wait till daylight tomorrow morning to go look for him. He should bed down not to far if you did not make to much noise going out.

buck

buck160: I think you will find him, he is hurting, but he may live for 8-12 hours...when you find him (fingers crossed) please give us an update.

Shot a buck identical to this about 6 years ago. Shot was low, buck was slightly quartering too. Ended up missing the lungs (too loo) but did catch some of the other vital organs. Went after the buck after about 5 hours and ended up bumping him. He was in rough shape, could barely stay in front of me on a walking pace. I watched him bed down and backed out. Found him the next morning. I think you will find him, might not get much blood but he is likely dead.

Kratz

As stated above, Wait until the morning at the earliest. Sounds like a low intestinal hit, in which case leaving him be is absolutely the best call. Wont be much blood but without a doubt a mortal wound. Good luck !

I had a similar incident a week ago but did not recover him. I didn't see the "hunching up" you described but he was not in a hurry to run. I shot good right to left but low and I am positive it was a 1 lung hit Very little blood on arrow but initially good blood on gound. He went 100 yards and stood like a statue, went another 75yards and bedded down, I backed out and hoped to find him in his bed the next day but no luck and little blood to follow. Hope your story ended better than mine. Done some research on single lung hits and seem to be a low rate of recovery. Have heard 3 identical stories to mine this yea- kind of ironic.

My brother shot his buck real low last year seemed like he barely skimmed the bottom of the deer. We went and looked for the deer 6 hours later and bumped him but he was hurting!! The next morning we went out and found him but not before the coyotes. Both times the deer bedded down right in water! Good chance you will find your deer if you look around water because deer start feeling feverish. Good Luck

Well, after reading most of yours posts I went against what everyone said and went out at 2pm the day I shot him. I shot the deer at 8am that morning. I went to where I last saw the deer and after following spotty blood for 20 or so yards I looked up and saw him laying down. So I sat down under a tree and watched him for about an hour or so. Eventually after 4 attempts he got up and slowly walked away. So I backed out and decided to come back in 24 hours. So today at 1 pm I went out and went back to where I saw him last, after 100 yards of walking or so, I caught a wiff of what i thought was a deer smell. So I walked towards it and noticed a doe bedded down, I watch her get up and slowly walk away, I crested the hill and found him up against a downed tree. Pretty lucky I smelled him. Thanks for all the advice everyone, I got lucky!

I made a very similar shot on a buck two years ago. My buck did the exact same thing ur buck did minus the "hunching". I let him lay and went looking the next day. i found lots of blood at first then the blood drops got to be few and far between. Sorry to say i never found this buck :(

But congrats on ur buck! i love split G2s

Last edited:
Top Bottom