Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lucky Minnesota Buck

dubbs

I've been a lurker here for a while now but I finally have something worth sharing, even if it's not from Iowa. I'm originally from MN but went to college in Iowa and have been living here since I graduated 4 years ago. The bow hunting in Iowa is awesome, but I still make time to go home and hunt. I bought a lifetime MN archery license before I changed residency to Iowa so I get to bow hunt in MN for free the rest of my life. I wish Iowa offered that!

I was at my fiance's family in SE MN over Thanksgiving. I brought my hunting stuff in case I got a chance to get out of the house. Saturday afternoon I got the opportunity to head out to some public land that I have never scouted outside of google earth.

I arrived at the parking area, there were no other vehicles, but there were boot tracks all over. Even though there didn't appear to be anyone out there I put on some extra blaze orange to be safe since it was the second to last day of the shotgun season.

I didn't see one set of deer tracks on the mile long hike to the location I had picked out online. I got set up in my climber just off an unpicked corn field at the top of a steep ravine. I had a feeling I wouldn't see anything and I was right. Not a sign of deer anywhere. My dad was texting me updates on the Gopher-Badger football game and it sounded like I was missing a good game. So a half hour before sunset I climbed down to head home and catch the 2nd half of the game.

I decided to walk the edge of the cornfield on the way out to look for some sign of deer. As I'm walking I look up and see a deer about 75 yards into the woods. I realize it is a buck and he is heading my way. I didn't have time or enough cover to take my climber off my back. I just nocked an arrow and kneeled out in the open and hoped things worked out. Luckily the wind was in my favor. The buck kept slowly working my way. I knew he was going to come out of the woods right at me. I lost sight of him when he was about 25 yards away because of the steepness of the hill and brush. I drew and watched as his antlers came back into view. It seemed like an eternity for him to take those last few steps into the open.

Just when I didn't think I could hold my bow back anymore he stepped into the open at 15 yards and I let the arrow fly. He reared up on his back legs and fell over. My arrow must have deflected off something and I spined him. I quickly got up and sent another arrow into his chest to finish the kill.

9hb8EkIl.jpg

It took two of us an hour and a half to drag him the mile back to the truck. We were worn out but it was worth it. We scored him roughly at 175. 15 points and a 22" inside spread. The taxidermist claims he was only 3.5!! I would have loved to see him in a couple of years if that was the case.

1FVk8dol.jpg

What a buck!! Spread-main beam length-splits-tall brows-droptine!! What a incredible hunt for ya!
Awesome deer and Congrats!!

Crazy! Amazing how it can happen so unexpectedly! Congrats in a fantastic deer!

Dang, that is one of those scenarios that could play out but almost never does. Can't win if you don't play though.

Re: the lifetime tags... I'd love it if Iowa did something like that because there's a very good chance I won't be living here forever. The MN DNR must have been hard up for some cash flow to offer something like that. Seems like they really shoot themselves in the foot for future revenues, but politics is short-sighted as hell.

Kansas has the same lifetime license. You buy it when you move and pay res. tag price the rest of your life. Iowa will never do that when they can get you for 700.00 every three or four years.

Very nice buck from a fellow Minnesotan!!

I like the lifetime license in MN, my friend did that as well, and now he is ND resident and get tags for both states at low cost

Great buck! I don't think it's a 3.5 yr old. Lot of people are clueless on aging deer!

That deer is mature!

Last edited:
Iowa does have lifetime license

I am a disabled vet. I was able to purchase a lifetime Iowa hunting license. If I ever moved would I still be able to hunt deer in Iowa on a yearly basis?

Last edited:
Thanks everybody! Now I can't wait for the archery season in Iowa to open back up so I can try to get an Iowa buck.

Re: the lifetime tags... I'd love it if Iowa did something like that because there's a very good chance I won't be living here forever. The MN DNR must have been hard up for some cash flow to offer something like that. Seems like they really shoot themselves in the foot for future revenues, but politics is short-sighted as hell.

Yeah it's a great deal for a hunter, but probably not the most financially wise decision on the MN DNR's part. I paid roughly $600 for the lifetime license. Nonresident MN licenses are $150ish. So in 4 years I've already made buying the license "worth it". The DNR will lose money off of me for the next 50 years (hopefully).

Top Bottom