Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Maine Moose

Spysar

Anyone put in for the greatest lottery of all time, Maine moose? It's a fairly cheap hunt if you draw a tag. I'm in the lottery again after getting a bull tag in 2016. Chances of getting a tag is low. Even residents have to use a lottery. Application period is open now.

Attachments

• 0929161244c.jpg
    0929161244c.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 33
  • 0929160718.jpg
    0929160718.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 33
Year 4 of putting in for me! New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine for Canada Moose for me.
It took me 17 years to get a tag. But I've heard of lots of guys getting them with 1 try. Go figure. Good luck , I hope you draw one. Best meat ever too.

I’ve heard meat is amazing. That looks so awesome!!!
Out of curiosity- What’s success rates like & do u generally hunt vast public areas for moose there?

Out of curiosity- What’s success rates like & do u generally hunt vast public areas for moose there?
Maine is a posted state, if it’s not posted you can hunt it. Maine is 94% Private, but most is accessible and landowners allow access for Moose. Lots of big timber companies allow hunters on their properties too.

Close to 3,000 Moose killed every year out of about 4,100 or so permits. A little over 70% every year harvest with some (mostly in the southern zones) going home empty handed.

It took me 17 years to get a tag. But I've heard of lots of guys getting them with 1 try. Go figure. Good luck , I hope you draw one. Best meat ever too.
My buddy got it with 1 point! I only do the squared chances each year and hope for the best :) I might start buying more chances some day...but I’d rather spend that money on a Newfoundland Canada Moose trip.

Last year success was not as good as it has been. You hunt vast areas of private, believe it or not. It's called the North Woods. It's gated and huge. You need a permit to get in. No quads allowed, you have to figure out another way to get your moose out. I used a portable capstan winch. Or there is lots of private you can hunt out of the North woods. When I went, the success was a bout 75% for the zone I was in. Your chances are better if you get a guide. I didn't get a guide, and still got a good bull. And you only have 6 days to do it. Hunt of a lifetime. My friend drew a tag 2 years before me and we got a bull then too. The year I went there was only about 2000 tags that year. Last year there was about 4000 tags. 10% of all tags go to non res.

wife and I went to Maine on our honey moon. It’s an amazing beautiful place. We hired a guy in Greenville Maine who took us out looking for Moose one evening. We ended up seeing one small bull, 2 cows, and a cow and a calf in a lake. It was awesome. We drive through thousands and thousands of acres of timber company and he said it was all open to hunting.
One thing about Maine that really stuck with me is how desolate some places in the state are. For an eastern state I was really pleasantly surprised at the big vast chunks of land with very minimal people. We are going to go back sometime but this time will be in the fall.

My buddy got it with 1 point! I only do the squared chances each year and hope for the best :) I might start buying more chances some day...but I’d rather spend that money on a Newfoundland Canada Moose trip.
Did your buddy get one? Were you his sub permitee?

Did your buddy get one? Were you his sub permitee?
No, he didn’t get one and only saw cows. I wish I was his sub permittee, he didn’t let me know until last minute and I couldn’t get work off. He went guided too. We’re each other’s sub permittee’s now.

Top Bottom