Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Management Help

Status
  • Deleted by N/A

TheMadCatter

You see I'm new to this management thing. Well actualy I pretty much haven't done anything. I'm limited to only 2-3 acres or less for food plots which I know nothing about. 90 percent of the land we have is crop ground. We have a small creek with a few trees and 1 draw and 1 acre of swichgrass. My Dad is willing to leave alittle bit of beans out for hunting season this year. We have/rent around 300+ acres around our house. I'd love to have some advice on how to help it be more deer friendly. I'm just stumped on what to do any advice would be helpful.

Thanks, Josh.

Last edited:
Post a topo photo of your property and we will be able to point a few things out for you. :way:

How is your deer density? That will dictate how much food you will need.

Post a topo photo of your property and we will be able to point a few things out for you. :way:

How is your deer density? That will dictate how much food you will need.

Alright, the deer density...hmmm I scared out 19 deer while setting up my brand new trail cam today. I say about 10 deer are on the property all the time and the farm next to ours...shoot...he's a CRP freak. Lemme get some pictures posted. Brb...

Last edited:
Ok, thats a good start. Keep a mental note of where they were bedded in relation to food sources, nearest cover, etc. Not saying they will always be there but 99% chance that wasn't the 1st time they bedded there. Pay attention to entry and exit strategies in regards to your possible stand locations, and prevailing fall winds. More later, hope this helps.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The place next to ours...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

So, where would I put a food plot? I have a place in my mind already set out in that southwestern corner on the 2nd fence row.

If I were you I would save my time, $, and effort, and get permission to hunt the neighbors place:grin:[/QUO

I would try to work out a deal with the guy. Tell him that you will look over his propetey and run off tresspasers. Tell him you will trade labor for hunting.

If that were me, I'd try and get a little ground into CRP (just your worst stuff) with this next sign-up, heck- even if it's 10 acres. I'd plant switchgrass. Plant Cedar trees in junk areas too. If it were me, I'd do corn & beans - couple acres left up, a couple acres of turnips & radishes and a few smaller clover plots.

I have to agree with Sligh! You are looking at a daunting task man. Your neighbor is going to hold most if not all of the deer so this is what I would do.

1. Plant some beans and/or corn in a location close to his line but not to close. 100 - 200 yds.

Hunting strategy.
1. Look for any of your fence lines that come from his place to any of your "cover" on your ground and sit them during the rut. You may get a buck to segregate a doe from the herd and bring her out on your place. Or you may just get one cruising your fence line.

2. Set up a blind over looking the standing beans for gun season and scout it with a spotting scope or binocs from aways away until you find a decent buck using it late season. You should be able to pull deer from his place late season to your beans. Don't over pressure it, just be patient until the deer are on it heavy.

I really don't know what else to tell you bud, this is tough without you guys having much cover on your place. Your best bet is just having the food for them late season and hope for the best. With a piece like yours you may get one chance at a buck during the rut cruising so you are going to have to pay attention to wind and hunt the peak days. I would try to pick up some better ground and leave yours for late season. Good Luck

Alright, so I forgot the key thing to tell you. That place next to ours, doesn't have a very good creek. It's pretty much swamp so the deer like to come over to our place to get a drink from out pond and or the little creek we have because of the tile lines bring fresh water to the creek. They come to it during winter all the time spring a few less come and summer it doesn't get any attention. But, when fall rolls around the deer just kill that place for the corn/beans every year and don't even care about the CRP.

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom