Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Management question - Food Plot / Bedding Area?

stevep

I have a general management question. I've got a piece of ground that is all woods except for an 8 acre overgrown pasture. WAY overgrown. Real good bedding cover. Except it's so thick you can barely walk through it.

I don't have any other open areas on this piece of ground. I want to clear a strategically located 2.5 acres of the overgrown part to plant as food plots.

Is this a bad idea? The ground is good, and the plot will back right up to the current bedding area, not to mention the fact that it will make for a great hunting spot due to the layout and shape of the cleared area. I hate the thought of clearing bedding ground, but at the same time it's the ONLY option that i have if want to do a food plot, and since it was previously pasture, it will clear fairly quickly & well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Steve

I made a similar move on a property i bought this spring. 120 acres all timber except 8 acres of old overgrown crop ground. Put 4 acres in food plot and deer are all over it. I left some of the bushes in the 4 acres on purpose to make them feel like they had a little cover. Not sure how much differense the big bushes made, but the deer sure love the plot. Have hunted it 3 times in bow season and average 11 deer each sit. One big boy that needs to get a little closer though. My doughter and nephew both took der off it in youth season too.

This has a BUNCH of cedars all over it, and I also found a "grove" of persimmons stuck in the middle. Going to leave the persimmons and maybe a few of the cedars, but it sure looks like an awesome spot for a plot. I'm hoping for the same results...

Sounds like an awsome set up, especially with the persimmons. I am going to add some fruit trees to mine next year but did not think persimmons did well in iowa (too cold?). Anyone know for sure?

Top Bottom