Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mandatory Ice Depth Regulations?

blake

Life Member
Falling Through The Ice

Should the DNR make mandatory Ice Depth Regulations?

This winter has been a headache for many ice anglers in Iowa. During December and January there were extended periods of time that most ice depths in the state were unsafe. With temperatures hitting the 50s and 60s throughout Iowa many days this year, ice has been sketchy at best to walk on. It is no secret that all ice is dangerous especially anything less than 4 inches.

Unfortunately we have been reminded of that too many times this year. Several ice anglers have lost their lives due to falling through faulty ice when conditions were not ideal for ice fishing. While our prayers go out to their friends and families this got me thinking of ways to stop these preventable losses of life.

This leads me to propose the question of: “Should the Iowa DNR make it mandatory to stay off the ice if the thickness is less than a safe depth?” More specifically do you think the DNR should have the ability to tell anglers that they can’t fish a given body of water until the ice is of minimum safety depths across any given body of water? Currently there is no law regulating entering a body of water with less than safe conditions here in Iowa.

While I know it’s common sense and it shouldn’t be that big of deal to stay off the ice during low ice depths you will always have individuals attempt to fish in such conditions. Could the DNR regulating safe ice conditions save the lives of anglers who dare to go out on thin ice? Lets hear your thoughts on this question. Would you support such regulations or do you think we should leave it up to the common sense of the angler and hope for the best?

As the temps begin to warm in the coming weeks please keep in mind that the ice will be losing ground to the warmer temps. If you are out on the ice please follow the safety tips below:

Consider all ice dangerous!

Never go out on ice less than 4” in depth.

Drill test holes every 10 feet to test the depth.

Carry ice picks around your neck to help assist you if you do fall through.

Do not fish in large groups, especially if you know the ice isn’t that thick.

Carry a cell phone in your front chest pocket.

Always tell someone where you are fishing. Have them call you every hour on the hour while you are fishing.

Some of these may seem a bit extreme, but when it comes to late season ice fishing you should take every precaution! While late season ice fishing is a blast and can yield some fantastic fishing make sure you are aware of the surroundings and play it safe. Coming back with a bucket full of fish is the goal, but coming back safe and sound should be the ultimate goal!

What do you think????? Should the DNR put mandatory restrictions on ice depth on public waters for the purpose of personal safety?

I don't see how they could enforce this. Ice could be 4 inches on one part of the lake and 1 inch on another. If they do this, then they should enforce where you point your gun while shotgunning.... its personal discretion and I don't see how the DNR enforcing this will change anything.

If you are dumb enough to go ice fish on thin ice, I call that natural selection...

:grin:

No more laws & no more Gov't looking out out for stupid people. That's why stupid people stay stupid - they don't have to think for themselves....or do anything for themselves. Common sense is the best regulation since the beginning of time.

Should the DNR mandate safety harness usage for tree stands? Kinda the same thing. You can’t cure stupid.

If they do make this a law I might just sell my gear and say screw it. What is this world coming to? when will the government stay out of our life's..

Part of what makes it a tough call for the DNR is the variability within the state. Up here in the north, we pretty much always have fishable ice conditions for quite awhile, but my Dad has a small farm pond south of Winterset that I've seen full winters when it had little more than a skim on it.

I've not been out on the ice yet up here, but not because it isn't safe ice...guys fishing all over the place. It hasn't been thick enough to drive on like normal, but there have been ATV's and snowmobiles out pretty regularly. This sounds crazy to some of you in the southern half of the state I'm sure, but it's amazing what a difference 150-200 miles can make.

NWBuck

Absolutely not! We do not need anymore government regulations or
ridiculous laws. If anything we need to regulate the government! Thomas said it "Natural Selection". Stupid is as stupid does.

I don't see how the DNR could monitor and enforce this as ice conditions can change day to day. What they could do to discourage people from venturing out in truly risky conditions is charging the ones that are rescued the costs involved in their rescue. This idea has caught on in some western states.

Another problem the state could run into would be if someone did fall through when they say the ice is safe, then they open themselves up to being sued. I agree with the others, stupid is as stupid does.

Top Bottom