Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Manipulating the Minimum Req. for CRP

Status
  • Deleted by N/A

Clint Zimmerman

I have approximately 13.8 acres enrolled in the Illinois Safe Acres program. Below I have listed the minimum seed requirements.

Species Rate per Acre Acre Total needed
<O:p</O:p
Big Bluestem 1.5 13.8 20.7
Indian Grass 2.0 13.8 27.6
Switch Grass .5 13.8 6.9
Canada Wildrye 1.0 13.8 13.8
Partridge Pea 10 oz 13.8 8.6
Illinois Bundleflower 8 oz 13.8 6.9
Purple Prairieclover 4 13.8 3.5
Purple Coneflower 2 13.8 1.7
Black Eyed Susan 1 13.8 0.9

My problem is I want the thickest cover possible. It is what my property lacks the most. How can I manipulate this mix with CIR Switchgrass and get the results I want.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a stand of a very similar (maybe the same) mix as yours, and also a pure CIR stand. By year 3 the mix was just as tall as the CIR and preferable in many ways. The only advantage to pure CIR is that it will stand up much better to heavy wet snow and ice, and will come back up after it melts. Once the mix is down, it pretty much stays down.
I used CIR for the switch component in my mix, and the dealer advised that it would dominate the stand by year 10 or so, but I see no evidence of that yet and dont care if it does. I burn half of it every year and the most recently burned piece is always the nicest.

I have a stand of a very similar (maybe the same) mix as yours, and also a pure CIR stand. By year 3 the mix was just as tall as the CIR and preferable in many ways. The only advantage to pure CIR is that it will stand up much better to heavy wet snow and ice, and will come back up after it melts. Once the mix is down, it pretty much stays down.
I used CIR for the switch component in my mix, and the dealer advised that it would dominate the stand by year 10 or so, but I see no evidence of that yet and dont care if it does. I burn half of it every year and the most recently burned piece is always the nicest.

Timber Pig

Thanks for the response, why I don't have a pure CIR stand, I have another small tract in the same mix that is terrible for laying down with the wind and by spring it is pretty much flat. Is there a certain strain of Indian and big blue that has better standability? Would increasing the CIR to 6 lbs and acre with all other rates being the same improve the standability or be a waste of money?

Timber Pig

Thanks for the response, why I don't have a pure CIR stand, I have another small tract in the same mix that is terrible for laying down with the wind and by spring it is pretty much flat. Is there a certain strain of Indian and big blue that has better standability? Would increasing the CIR to 6 lbs and acre with all other rates being the same improve the standability or be a waste of money?

I would do just that or even select an area of the total planting to over seed CIR.

Timber Pig

I dont know enough about it to offer an opinion on varieties or if it would be worth the money to you. I would call Osenbaugh's about that or maybe Dbltree will know. You can always do as Ironwood suggested and overseed the areas you want thicker. I put as much CIR in my mix as the USDA would allow and I really dont see much of it, I think the mix grew faster and dominated it early.
My mix is more than thick enough and gets more use by wildlife 90% of the year, I think the CIR is SO thick that it is difficult for them to walk through. The mix is a much nicer stand, but if you need it to stand up to heavy winter weather then CIR wins hands down IME. It kind of depends what you want it for.
Grass seed is expensive stuff so I'd talk to an expert before I wasted a lot of money if your doing a large area.

After 15 years of observing my NWSG I have noticed that long term there is n such thing as a "mix"...eventually one tall grass will dominate and in my case it is Indiangrass. Unfortunately IG is the most notorious for going flat very early in the season...not always but often. If not for that then it really wouldn't make a huge difference.

Fist off i recommend that you work with John Osenbaugh from Prairie Seed farms in Lucas Iowa because he can mix whatever you ask for.

Secondly...you can ask for the switch to be packaged separately (add more if you wish)and....you can sow it separately (shhhhh! ;) ) All FSA needs for cost share payment is a copy of the seed bill with all the various seeds listed in your conservation letter.

If you plant the switch separately in an area where it might be likely to be used for a bedding area for instance...no one will be the wiser....don't ask me how I know.... ;)

After 15 years of observing my NWSG I have noticed that long term there is n such thing as a "mix"...eventually one tall grass will dominate and in my case it is Indiangrass. Unfortunately IG is the most notorious for going flat very early in the season...not always but often. If not for that then it really wouldn't make a huge difference.

Fist off i recommend that you work with John Osenbaugh from Prairie Seed farms in Lucas Iowa because he can mix whatever you ask for.

Secondly...you can ask for the switch to be packaged separately (add more if you wish)and....you can sow it separately (shhhhh! ;) ) All FSA needs for cost share payment is a copy of the seed bill with all the various seeds listed in your conservation letter.

If you plant the switch separately in an area where it might be likely to be used for a bedding area for instance...no one will be the wiser....don't ask me how I know.... ;)

Thanks Dbltree.

cir will hold up the big blue and indian grass. plant cir 3to1 in your mix or order xtra and do a seperate invoice.

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom