Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Maq Fire

Rudd

Life Member
I know there's a few Jackson County'ers on here. Some incredible pics here. MAQ fire pics Reminds me of a fire my Dad fought in the 70's back in the QC's. Had to be a miserable one to fight.

I saw that the other day, hard to believe that pretty much a whole block was BBR.

I'll say this though, with as old as those buildings were I'm not overly surprised. The old Mitchel/Maskry feed store was older than dirt, how do you think the wiring looked?

Bummer for sure.

Thanks Ryan, I'll forward the link to some of our guys who responded up there. We sent a Company with one of our aireal units. They broadcasted alerts over mediacom for people in Maquoketa not to use any water. Sounds like they basically exhausted the city water and were running tankers from the river later on. I'd almost rather fight one in 90 degree temps, miserable.

As a Fireman I will add this. Big A$$ fire -20 degree windchills spraying lots of water making lots of slick A$$ ice, Air pacs freezin up along with your gloves gear etc. To make a long story short add all of these factors up and it equals one thing. IT SUCKS!!!!. Then you slip on the ice fall on your duff and it seems that everyone saw you do it and it makes their day. My hats off to those guys as i was sitting at home nice and toasty.

Once upon a time I was a volunteer in eastern Iowa, we had a small building involved in that weather and it as a real MFer. Older guys talked about a main-street fire that was a complete loss and looking at it years later you just wondered how the 4ell it was ever stopped at the side walls.
I was in eastern Iowa this weekend and was just happy the diesel started- really glad I wasn't fighting a fire. Hats off to all that were there!

I am a volunteer in S.E. Ia also. I could not imagine fighting a fire that needed 20 departments to keep it under control. That is a monster! I'm glad no one was seriously injured. My hats off to those guys who were on the scene. -30 wind-chill plus water equals hell!

Top Bottom