Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Marion Co. Hunter Killed Info Added

blake

Life Member
Shot Taken at Running Deer Causes Sunday's Hunting Fatality

DES MOINES - An Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) investigation into the Sunday death of a Marion County hunter has determined the incident to have been caused by a wayward shot fired at a running deer.

Christopher J. Durham, 41, of Harvey, was fatally injured by a gunshot wound late Sunday afternoon while hunting near Bussey in Mahaska County. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Durham was hunting in a group with seven other hunters when he was struck in the chest by a shot fired at a running deer by Brett Wayne Fee, 20, of Dallas, who was also a member of the hunting party that included Durham. Because of the topography and dense cover, Durham could not be seen by Fee when the shot was fired. Durham was wearing blaze orange at the time of the incident as were others in the hunting party.
DNR Recreational Safety Officer Allen Crouse is urging hunters taking to the field for the shotgun deer season during the next two weeks to use caution.

"Hunters need to make sure they are wearing blaze orange so they are visible and to know where everyone else is before taking a shot. Shooting at running deer continues to be the main causes of hunting-related incidents during deer season so knowing where everyone is and having blaze orange on to be as visible as possible are important practices in avoiding potentially tragic incidents," said Crouse.

Marion County Hunter Killed Sunday While Deer Hunting

DES MOINES - A Marion County hunter was fatally wounded Sunday while hunting deer in Mahaska County.

Christopher J. Durham, 41, was fatally injured by a gunshot wound late Sunday afternoon while hunting with seven other hunters near Bussey in Mahaska County. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The incident is being investigated by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources. No further information is available at this time.

Last edited:
Sad day. I grew up less than a mile from Christopher in the small town of Harvey. Thoughts and prayers go out to the family, friends, and all of those involved.

Drank a lot of beer with Chris over the years. Sad deal. He will be missed by anyone that ever met him. Super nice guy that always had a story to keep you laughing your tail off....

That's sad and horrible stuff. If something like that happened in my group, I'd almost wish I never took up hunting in the 1st place- why I'm super careful. That's a horrible tragedy.

I believe he left behind two children and a wife. I still can't believe this. Everyone, please be safe out there. This is just too close to home for me.

Hoping everyone can be safe for the upcoming shotgun seasons. Always be aware of where your bullet may travel after it gets to your target.

All of us certainly feel for the family when and accident like this happens.

I can only imagine what the fellow that fired the shot must be thinking.

I feel very bad for everyone involved or close to this unfortunate accident, I would guess it will change their lives forever. :(

This is a very sad unfortunate incident.The families of all involved are in my prayers.If anything good can come from an accident like this maybe it's that there will be a few more safe hunters.

Info added

TTT: Information added to the beginning of this post.

From the Iowa DNR:

"Shooting at running deer continues to be the main causes of hunting-related incidents during deer season".

Top Bottom