Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Marion vs. Wayne County

Iowa Bucks

I would love some input on which county everyone prefers for big bucks between Marion & Wayne County. Specifically from a genetics perspective, and overall better area to hunt & own land.

bcwhitetail_1280.jpg

Big Bucks everywhere in Iowa. Granted this map is from 1980-2001, you get my point.

Last edited:
I couldnt tell you about those 2 counties but Decator,Warren have some huge bucks!!! Also Allemakee (not spelled right at least i don't think) has a bunch of big ones!!! Always see Allemakee as number one county at the deer classic, just counting which county shows up more on the bucks that have been shot lol but Iowa in general has biggins!!!!

Last edited:
Marion but I'm partial since I have killed 2 big ones in Marion lol, any county in Iowa is better than a county not in Iowa

We've shot nice bucks off public ground around Lake Red Rock for quite a few years now. I'm sure with private ground and management, you'll have some awesome deer. All the bucks we've shot in Marion County have some really sweet junk on the backs and bases of the racks. Not sure if it's a genetic trait for the area, but something I've noticed.

Tough to beat the bottom two tiers in the state. With that said....big deer grow in every county. If I had to pic I would chose Wayne over Marion.

Both counties grow Booners! Around Red Rock and the southern part of Marion is tuff to beat but land will likely cost a little more. Wayne has its areas, too. I saw a lot of nice deer along the S. fork of the chariton River. Getting in the right neighborhood will be the ticket in either county.

Sure seem to see a lot more Marion bucks at the Iowa Deer Classic...Wayne seems to have a lot more cattle ground...which can grow big deer, but isn't as fun to hunt.

Getting in the right neighborhood will be the ticket in either county.

That is the best thing to look at when buying a farm...the neighborhood.

Genetics move around and there is no way to say one county has better genetics than another. Its the luck of the draw with young buck dispersal.

All those counties mentioned have huge deer, look at a particular farm to determine if it has what you want. Counties are a great place to start, a particular farm is a great place to buy...

Top Bottom