Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mature Buck Numbers Down

no doubt on that. There are so many hunting youtube channels and it seems more and more people make them every year, and some really well done. But, to me its oversaturated, I dont watch hardly any of them. They all are just doing the same thing.

I really liked THP, but this fall I quit watching their deer tour videos after about October. Its all the same, pull up to a new public area area and shoot the first 2.5 y/o that presents a shot.
Those guys were really fun to watch on Midwest Whitetail when they were hunting and killing mature bucks on public land. What they were doing was impressive. I'm not interested in what they do now (or at least last I saw) where they travel from state to state shooting piles of young bucks. I'm not saying it's wrong, I just prefer to watch the season long pursuit trying to kill 1 mature buck.

Those guys were really fun to watch on Midwest Whitetail when they were hunting and killing mature bucks on public land. What they were doing was impressive. I'm not interested in what they do now (or at least last I saw) where they travel from state to state shooting piles of young bucks. I'm not saying it's wrong, I just prefer to watch the season long pursuit trying to kill 1 mature buck.

agree. They have gotten a couple what I would call mature deer (aarons iowa public buck in 2020 i think and ted got a good one in MO a couple years ago), but other than that they just travel around and whack the first non 4 point or little basket rack. I like watching their comradery etc, but their actual whitetail hunting isnt fun to watch anymore. I think that style works really well with the turkey tour, but not the deer.

Mature buck numbers down? Younger buck numbers normal? We cannot blame mature buck numbers lacking on mother nature, or coyotes, or other excuses like that. We can, however, blame the human influence, in those areas, big and small, who are experiencing this. Plenty of mature bucks being harvested, including world class harvests, supports this.

Mature buck numbers down? Younger buck numbers normal? We cannot blame mature buck numbers lacking on mother nature, or coyotes, or other excuses like that. We can, however, blame the human influence, in those areas, big and small, who are experiencing this. Plenty of mature bucks being harvested, including world class harvests, supports this.
The number of mature bucks I have is on par with other years. The lack of growth on those deer.... ya I'm blaming mother nature.

Could be, but I've heard same thing across a dozen counties.
FWIW, in our area, where we had a late spring and then moderate drought, I would say that rack growth was unspectacular this year...and we had a fair number of old enough bucks.

The drought seemed to be much worse west of us this year, but it was bad enough that getting plots to take was problematic.

Skip is right, coyotes need to be controlled. Unfortunately, an all too common issue that I run into as a trapper and a coyote hunter is lack of access. I’ve had numerous owners tell me, maybe after deer season. Unfortunately, coyote pelts are worth even less by the end of January, tough sell for me, with gas prices high and fur prices low. One place I used to trap, I called last fall to ask permission, was asked to wait until after deer season….they only hunt 2nd shotgun…I could’ve killed some coyotes in October and November and not “boogered up” the deer.

Not to mention the extra hassle it takes to set traps in the frozen ground in January. Screw that. If I’m trapping them I’m trapping them in November. If they want me to wait I’ll hunt them but even then your calling success drops til about February if not later because everyone and their brother is out playing cagey cottontail and pup distress 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to mention the extra hassle it takes to set traps in the frozen ground in January. Screw that. If I’m trapping them I’m trapping them in November. If they want me to wait I’ll hunt them but even then your calling success drops til about February if not later because everyone and their brother is out playing cagey cottontail and pup distress 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Preach it brother Curtis!!!! Frozen ground sucks for coyote trapping. And most of the coyotes I call come to vocals, not many come to distress sounds. ‍♂️

Top Bottom