Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Maumee River Walleye trip

DannyBoy

Shot out to Maumee, Ohio for the weekend on my first walleye excursion of the year. Caught the very beginning of the annual "walleye run" where the walleyes come out of Lake Erie into the Maumee River to spawn. It was an awesome trip and experience! Caught all males in the 19-23 inch range. I wanna go back over Easter weekend when the giant big lake females have moved in!

Fought some crazy crowds, but it was well worth it!

Luckily we brought a boat and were able to get away from the crowds and do pretty good! It was pretty satisfying to find our own spots to fish and haul some in...

The water was high, so we boated to an island and dropped a couple guys off to fish a good pool/riffle area. Here's an action shot taken from the guys who stayed on the boat.

Hopefully somebody will ride along with me over Easter weekend. Check out this link and you'll know why I want to go back!
http://www.maumeetackle.net/trophy-room-i-12.html?osCsid=131a86c36e93330f788d6a290d57af79

thats awesome Danny!!! Looks like a lot of fun, even for a bunch of walleyes.... :D

Looks like a great trip. I miss walleye fishing. That background in the first pic looks like the combat fishing for salmon in Alaska. Crazy!

Looks like a great trip. I miss walleye fishing. That background in the first pic looks like the combat fishing for salmon in Alaska. Crazy!

Combat fishing is right! That line of people extends another 200 yards downstream and probably 1/2 mile upstream. That pic was also taken well into the afternoon and a good portion of the fisherman had already called it a day... it was shoulder to shoulder for the morning bite!

Looks like some tense fishing to me. Do many fish at night?

No, it's illegal until May, I believe. Sunrise to sunset is legal fishing time. I about chit myself when I was standing in my spot waiting to fish one morning and an AIR HORN sounded off, signaling legal fishing time. You've never seen more lines in the air at once! That same night, ODNR hollered a five-minute warning for everyone. It was unreal...

Very Nice! Erie is an amazing fishery for eyes. I used to fish the detroit river where it meets Erie. I haven't been there for several years now, I do miss fishing up there.

Nice pics, looks like a good time!

I am from Saginaw, MI and you guys wouldn't believe the walleye fishery we got going on in the Saginaw Bay and it's tributaries! We slayed the walleye this winter on the ice.
:drink1:

That is crazy! Looks like an awesome trip.
2thumbs.gif

Thanks for the kind words fellas! Doesn't look like I'll have an opportunity to make it back this year but it's already in the books as an "annual" event from now on. Can't wait til next April!

Top Bottom