Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Me again, now asking about Guthrie County

kam582

A couple of weeks ago I posted a question asking about Sac County deer hunting, and got a very good response. However, because it appears that the hunting there is tough, it is off the list for now. Now we are looking at relocating in Guthrie County and I have the same question. How is the deer hunting in that county. From the DNR stats, it looks like it could be very good, but I worry about access. Does it have a lot of leased land because of its proximity to Des Moines? I live within 20 minutes of Omaha, but because it's a different state, I really have no problem with leased land, yet. I am thinking Des Moines money might make hunting within 30 minutes of the city difficult.

One other question. We are just starting to look at Lake Panorama, which is a private lake. Does anyone know about the fishing on that lake? I can find absolutely nothing in regards to how the lake is for fishing.

Thanks,

Guthrie county has a tremendous amount of quality bucks. The land is incredible for producing mature bucks. As far as access goes...I have no idea... but deer and turkey numbers are outstanding.

Lake Panorama is a good fishery too..quality cats, crappie, bass, and nice eyes also. I fish the river below the lake on occasion. ;)

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I think u hit the jackpot with that pick!!! Almost any good area (or poor) has access issues. Great on all levels. U gonna buy land there or just a house?

With I could afford 2 or 3 hundred acres of good deer timber, but we can't swing that. We are looking at combining a summer place in South Dakota and our home into one year round lake house. Nice to hear about the fishing on that lake, especially the eyes as I love to Walleye fish. Looks like the property on the lake is pricy, but what isn't? I just worry about finding good deer hunting, as I am used to some pretty good hunting here in Western Iowa.

There are plenty of deer in Guthrie County. The only possible downside I could see is that most deer do not reach maturity unless they are on bigger private lands. Some dandy bucks have been killed south of Panora the past few years. There also is Elk Grove which is in the NW part of the county. 1600 acres of public with some large bucks, just may be a long haul/drag out with your deer. As far as private access, most of the land is farmer owned and been hunted by the same people for years. You just have to find one who is willing to let you get a foot in the door.

There is one draw back to Lake Panorama, on the weekends the water skiers show up and your fishing is done. The good thing is that there is one of the best small mouth rivers in the state at Panora, it's catch and release but what a blast. We are getting more and more leased land tho for deer hunting.

Top Bottom