Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Meat Locker lost my Antlers

I dont think meat locker has a say in the matter....
Gonna say we'll just have to disagree. Clearly I'm making some assumptions but I'd have to believe a locker is never going to recommend leaving something that's important to you at their facility that isn't necessary for them to complete their job. They need the meat, that's it. I understand the locker should NEVER lose a rack left in their possession but I'd say the odds of it disappearing are higher than we'd all like to believe. Unless they specifically said they'd hold onto it until he returned I feel like that's a choice/risk that was taken when it was left behind. Every meat locker I've ever been to has a pile of buck skulls, they're usually laying outside. Granted most are dinks.

I don't want my opinion to seem insensitive, I just don't think a guy running a small business can absorb a bill that's probably thousands of dollars in this scenario. In a dream situation where they make money to the ceiling they'd probably replace it in a heart-beat. That said, I'd love to pay it forward and kick $50 into a replica fund. This website has done nothing but make me a better hunter and created some really good friends. If the locker won't get it rebuilt send me a message and I'll venmo you some cash. Would be pretty cool to see IW step up and help a fellow hunter out!

Just curious, did you specifically tell the locker to save your antlers for you? Unless it's specifically included in how you wanted your deer processed, I could possible see the person processing your deer throwing it in the pile like they do others not marked as keeping?

Centerville. Country Roads Meat Locker.

I will talk to someone who makes replicas and see what the price on something even would be.
Totally unacceptable. They should be liable. They are responsible for the deer once it's in their position. Please let us know how they handle this.

I have seen several lockers that I have been to will gladly cape or cut of your antlers. but also say that they must be picked up right away and not responsible for them.

If you would like the head, skull cap (antlers), or a cape, you MUST ATTACH A NOTE TO THE ANTLERS. Heads, antlers, and capes must be picked up the following business day by closing time.​

Like the title says. Stopped by to get my deer from the processor this afternoon, and they lost my antlers. I am furious and upset. First Iowa Whitetail since I moved here. Here are a couple photos of him, he was my nicest to date. I am sick to my stomach. Not sure what to do, figured I would post here.

View attachment 126814View attachment 126815
Like the title says. Stopped by to get my deer from the processor this afternoon, and they lost my antlers. I am furious and upset. First Iowa Whitetail since I moved here. Here are a couple photos of him, he was my nicest to date. I am sick to my stomach. Not sure what to do, figured I would post here.

View attachment 126814

View attachment 126814View attachment 126815
Ouch sorry. Shot 80+ bucks and have never left any antlers at the locker. Guessing you wont do that again. Sawz-All works very well. Dang nice Buck! Hope you get it back.

With it being left so long, my bet is that someone figured that nobody wanted them and took them for themselves. I'd be checking with all the employees of the locker.

With it being left so long, my bet is that someone figured that nobody wanted them and took them for themselves. I'd be checking with all the employees of the locker.
This is exactly what happened! Two months later they figured they weren’t wanted and they might not have been identified who the owner was remember it a locker and as Brett said their job is the meat.

Go to the owner and offer a 100$ reward better yet 200$ reward no questions asked and the chance is good they will magically find them in the back room

You guys are are forgetting that the tag must remain with the animal until it’s processed. You can’t cape it out for the taxi and still have a tag on it at the locker.

OP, how long did you wait after notification that it was done to go get it?

I process myself, so I'm not an expert here, but I thought dropping it off at the locker was considered being processed, so the head/ antlers could be removed then. Isn't that the point of the second tag that goes on the leg after registration - to still show its a legal registered deer after the head was removed? I read the regulation, but it's not real clear on what being processed is.

You have a limited time before a hide goes bad for shoulder mounts and there's no way a locker is going to process every shoulder mount deer in time during shotgun season.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I process myself, so I'm not an expert here, but I thought dropping it off at the locker was considered being processed, so the head/ antlers could be removed then. Isn't that the point of the second tag that goes on the leg after registration - to still show its a legal registered deer after the head was removed? I read the regulation, but it's not real clear on what being processed is.

You have a limited time before a hide goes bad for shoulder mounts and there's no way a locker is going to process every shoulder mount deer in time during shotgun season.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
You are correct. Transportation tag on the antlers and once it’s reported and the small tag is put on the back leg with confirmation number they can be separated and the carcass can be brought anywhere in the state.

You guys are are forgetting that the tag must remain with the animal until it’s processed. You can’t cape it out for the taxi and still have a tag on it at the locker.

That's what the 2 parts of the tag are for. If in doubt, write the confirmation number on both pieces. Not that hard to do.

Last edited:

I have dropped several deer off at lockers after caping it out. Typically leave transport tag on the antlers and the registration portion with the carcass. Never been questioned by the lockers or told they can’t accept it like that. Not saying that is 100% legal just never had anyone say anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know the last time the locker even wanted the tag, only time was a carcass doe because too cold and I didn't have time. Otherwise I take in boned out meat.

They were so backed up they never called to say it was done. I stopped in 3 different times, roughly 2 months after I dropped off.

I asked why they kept taking deer in if they were so backed up. I got the “why didn’t we think of that look”.

Top Bottom