Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mexico Trip #2

I was blessed to have the opportunity to do two Mexico Coues Deer trips this year. After the success on the first trip, I was ready for a let down; however, the second trip was just as good--maybe even better. The 4 guys with me all tagged out on 4 very nice deer (two of them were 120 class deer--exceptional for coues) on the first full day leaving me with 4 full days of hunting and only tag left in group. Incredibly though, I only needed about 2 hours of the next day to seal the deal. On day 2 we reached our glassing spot just before sunrise and almost immediately began to see deer. We located a nice one that was about 1800 yards out on the side of a mountain. Through the Swarovski 115MM STX spotter, he looked good, but appeared to not have any points past his G2 on his left. We continued looking and a few moments later found the one I would eventually shoot. Initially we thought it was the same deer as the frame sizes were comparable, but as the light got better we were able to make out the drop tines and new it was a deer I had to go after. From that point, we ended up driving the General around to the ridge in between us and the deer. Which put us at about 800 yards out. Normally, I would try to close the distance, but the terrain wouldn't allow for a closer shot. As I got setup with my 300 Norma Mag. The deer actually fed closer making the final shot 760 yards. It was a difficult wind call, so I was a little back on my first shot. But my buddy Bryan was videoing and spotting for me, and I was able to get make a perfect wind correction for the 2nd shot and finish the deal! He's a little hard to score with the palmation at the points and stuff, but I've got him right around 132". Still pinching myself after this dream season. For the two groups (9 hunters) we ended up with three 95-100" deer, one 119, four 120+, and the 130+. All time BC typical for coues is 110. Probably a season we'll never equal. But that's fine, Mexico Coues hunting is just a great time regardless of the size of the deer.

130"+

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 6.23.41 PM.jpg

You can kill 120" coues in carharts, but I wouldn't recommend it. :)
Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 6.23.31 PM.jpg

Big Country
Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 6.23.21 PM.jpg

I hunt Coues in AZ and I have friends that hunt and guide for Coues in Mexico. Everything I'm told is that it's a whole other world down there. You can see more deer on a hillside in one morning than in a 4-day hunt in AZ or NM. Congrats on a great Coues buck! What outfitter did you go with? I have a friend that did a DIY down there this January, through a local outfitter and I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me go just once! Great buck!

I hunt Coues in AZ and I have friends that hunt and guide for Coues in Mexico. Everything I'm told is that it's a whole other world down there. You can see more deer on a hillside in one morning than in a 4-day hunt in AZ or NM. Congrats on a great Coues buck! What outfitter did you go with? I have a friend that did a DIY down there this January, through a local outfitter and I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me go just once! Great buck!
I actually live in North Phoenix. My wife is from Cananea, Sonora, and I was just hunting with a cousin. If I didn't have that connection, I would probably get a group together and do one of the DIY hunts through Colburn & Scott. It's definitely an awesome time down there. One of the ranches we hunt doesn't have a ton of deer density, but has real good quality. The other ranch had more density and quality which does make glassing all day more interesting for sure!

Top Bottom