Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

MFR and Honey Suckle removal

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
I have 5 acres I need to get to work on asap for my cost share plan. According the plan I need to cut and spray. I have a brush cutter (like a weedeater with blade and shoulder straps) and a back pack sprayer to use. The plan says to use basal bark spray mixed with diesel. It says to cut and then spray the stump within 5 minutes. My plan is to have one person on the cutter being followed by a second person with the sprayer.

I've done some research on here and reading threads, but where exactly do I go to buy basal bark spray etc.? Walmart, fleet feet, a coop? Is it already mixed and I just dump it in the sprayer and get after it or do I need to make a mix of stuff on my own? I know I could ask my forester, but just thought I'd reach out here too.

Can someone spell it out to me like I'm 5 years old please? Is there any tips or tricks I should know once I get to work? Should the person with the sprayer have a mask on?

Clearly this is my first time doing this. I'm excited to get to work on it, but only have the next three weekends to get it done. I have 5 acres in the plan now, and then seeing how those 5 acres change after the work I'll decide if I should continue with more acres.

For clarity, basal bark and cut stump treatments are two totally different processes. Basal bark does not involve cutting. It is simply spraying the lower portion of the stem.

The process you are describing is cut stump treatment.

Two different chemicals are most effective for MFR and Honeysuckle so you may want to do one and then go back and do the other.

Multifora Rose Control
  • Mechanically remove by mowing, mulching, or cutting
  • Fire can effectively top kill MFR
  • After burning or mechanically removing treat with herbicide application. The timeframe for treatment is August thru late February
  • Treat with triclopyr ester. Common herbicide names is Remedy Ultra or Garlon 4L. Mix 3 parts diesel to 1 part herbicide and stump spray any regrowth

Honeysuckle control
  • All chemical or mechanical control of honeysuckle should be conducted before late summer when seeds are dispersed to reduce the likelihood that treated areas will be reinvaded. In the spring, small and medium sized plants can be pulled or dug up. It is important to ensure that plants that have been dug up do not reroot if they are simply laid on the ground.
  • For larger plants it is almost always necessary to use chemical control methods after cutting.
  • Treat cut stump with 50% glyphosate solution.

Use dye so you know what you have sprayed.

If you can do a foliar spray within the parameters of your plan I would suggest spraying the MFR in late May to early June when the MFR has its white blooms with a foliar application. Leaves need to be fairly damp with a remedy, 24d and crop oil mix.

There are a lot of studies and literature indicating that you can apply basal bark spray anytime and have an effective kill. I can link if necessary. However, I used basal bark spray and it did not terminate most of the BH in the first growing season. I am questioning whether I failed to cover enough of the stem. If so, then I won't use that technique again as I was fairly diligent in application and it would be too time consuming to ensure better coverage. I am waiting to see if leafs out next year.

I have used the "Harper" cocktail which is probably overkill but I have it with me at all times so I used it. It always kills BH. However, it contains some ground active herbicide so you have to be careful with it.

This year I will be using a polesaw and a sponge herbicide applicator or sprayer with at least 50% gly and dye. I will cut and wipe/spray the stumps, ideally with a second person. I am also going to experiment with some other methods and will report my findings.

As mentioned above, basal bark spraying does not involve cutting. It involves mixing a herbicide with a penetrate/carrier that delivers herbicide through the bark/skin of the woody plant to the vulnerable portions of the stem. If you are going to cut, you do not need a the basal oil/diesel which serves as the penetrate/carrier, just gly and dye. Be sure the gly is applied to all the cut stem especially the outer perimeter of the cut surface.

Okay, I reread my plan. It seems to be basal bark spray the multiflora without cutting, but for the bigger clusters of it I may want to cut so I can get in further towards the center of it to spray. And some of the honey suckle is big so cutting was recommended.

Okay, I reread my plan. It seems to be basal bark spray the multiflora without cutting, but for the bigger clusters of it I may want to cut so I can get in further towards the center of it to spray. And some of the honey suckle is big so cutting was recommended.
I think that is a more difficult way to do things. Pretty hard to get to the "trunk" of MFR unless wearing Kevlar. We mow or mulch then treat regrowth. Pretty easy.

Another option depending on what your overall plan is and long term use of the property is going to be. Also may not work with the requirements but way less invasive to your bid than hand cutting. Spike herbicide is a pelletized brush killer that works really well. I’d still lean toward foliar spray in late May or early June If you can.

Top Bottom