Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mineral Block

In the offseason of deer hunting are you allowed to put a mineral block out infront of a trail camera or just set it out there. I looked at the DNR regulations but couldn't find anything on mineral blocks and such. I am new to Iowa so just wanted to find out so I don't break any laws.

EDITED: What are some ways people solve this problem with minerals or what else do you use besides minerals.

Last edited:
In the offseason of deer hunting are you allowed to put a mineral block out infront of a trail camera or just set it out there. I looked at the DNR regulations but couldn't find anything on mineral blocks and such. I am new to Iowa so just wanted to find out so I don't break any laws.

It is legal to do this, but you run into problems when the rain causes the salt to get into the soil beneath it. Then when you remove the block come deer season, the area is classifies as "baited" and you can't hunt "in a proximity that might be advantageous". Which that wording is up to the interpretation of the CO.

If you put out corn in front of your camera, once the kernels are gone, it isn't baited.

If you do use minerals, put it in a tub or something so it won't get in the ground and can be completely removed.

If you put it in a tub, make sure you have more blocks. Rain will collect in the tub and dissolve the blocks. Or atleast a lot of them. If you put holes in the bottom, the mineral will still get into the ground then, so might as well not use the tub. Also, if using a tub during antler growing season, make sure the top won't bump/rub the antlers on the bucks.

Top Bottom