Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mineral Site Video Short

Please provide a link to a scientific study published in a peer reviewed journal that proves mineral supplements increase rack size on wild deer in Iowa. Or basically anywhere for that matter.

Sure is great for getting lots of herd inventory trail cam pics though! :way:

Please provide a link to a scientific study published in a peer reviewed journal that proves mineral supplements increase rack size on wild deer in Iowa. Or basically anywhere for that matter.

But... but... but... I saw it on TV... and on the internet... and I read it in a magazine and all kinds of famous (and pretty blond) people said so... it must be true... :confused: I'll bet they even sell minerals at GNC!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It would be impossible, how do you compare the same buck with and without minerals?

Thats like saying soybeans and corn dont help,, how would you suggest they do that study?

It wouldn't be "wild deer" but you could easily compare high fence or even penned deer of similar genetics. Give one group access to plain salt and another a "mineral mix" and compare antlers, fawn weights overall health etc... Obviosly, both would otherwise get good balanced nutrition similar to what Iowa deer have pretty much year round. Problem is, who would fund it? The "mineral" people would have the most to gain, IF their product proved to be beneficial. If not, you will never hear or see the results of the study. Sadly, a lot of studies de-bunking claims made for various products never do get published.

Minerals for midwestern deer have a minimal effect on antler growth. Our deer are not deficient in this area. Combining minerals with habitat improvement, food improvement, less stress, predator management, etc could have maybe a combined 5% increase in antler growth.

Then why do farmers give their cattle mineral?? There are a lot of variables that can affect antler growth, but there is no way providing mineral can hinder growth.....only help it.

sheepman said:
Then why do farmers give their cattle mineral?? There are a lot of variables that can affect antler growth, but there is no way providing mineral can hinder growth.....only help it.

I'm not saying it hurts at all but I also don't believe it has a significant effect. I do however provide it. I personally believe it benefits overall herd Heath as opposed to antler growth.

I'm not saying it hurts at all but I also don't believe it has a significant effect. I do however provide it. I personally believe it benefits overall herd Heath as opposed to antler growth.

I agree with this. From a genetics and nutrition standpoint I do believe that minerals have antler growing benefit for some deer and not for others.

Cattle need salt. Trace mineral salt (red salt) is almost as cheap and "doesn't hurt" so it's frequently used. Pretty much the same with deer. Anything other than that only hurts your pocketbook. GNC is full of stuff that people don't really NEED, but because it might help they spend mega-$$$$$ for. I only object to people making or repeating unsubstantiated claims to get someone to buy something in order to line someone else's pocket. If, knowing that there is zero proof of efficacy, you choose to buy a high priced product full of vitamins & minerals etc. good luck with that. I hope your investment pays off for you. :)

TGIF :way::way::way:

Cattle need salt. Trace mineral salt (red salt) is almost as cheap and "doesn't hurt" so it's frequently used. Pretty much the same with deer. Anything other than that only hurts your pocketbook. GNC is full of stuff that people don't really NEED, but because it might help they spend mega-$$$$$ for. I only object to people making or repeating unsubstantiated claims to get someone to buy something in order to line someone else's pocket. If, knowing that there is zero proof of efficacy, you choose to buy a high priced product full of vitamins & minerals etc. good luck with that. I hope your investment pays off for you. :)

TGIF :way::way::way:

So your saying cattle don't need anything for fescue, or any other trace mineral, only salt?

Top Bottom