Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mineral site ?

SaskGuy

Another ? from a dummy. Bought some stuff to set up some mineral licks. Where do you put them, off a trail or anywhere in the bush and they'll find them?????? Also, can I assume now is not too early to get them established? Any heads up will be appreciated guys.
smile.gif

From what I understand.... this is a critical time period for antler growth and having a good source of nutrients late in the winter and spring is crucial so I'd think it would be a great time to put out a mineral lick.

As for where to place them.... I think it is best to place them at a point where a majority of the deer will have access to it and will be able to frequent it regularly... possible on the edge of a food source close to bedding or something.

I'm sure some of the other guys on here have better ideas than me... any help fellas?

I don't think placement is a huge issue, they seem to find the salt blocks I put out for our horses real fast. Just finding an area where deer frequent should do. You might want it secluded so the increased deer activity in the area doesn't notify others (people) of the presence of a lick. After the deer have found it, get your trail cam over it.
waytogo.gif

I just started using some last year and they hit it hard! It is a great way to get summer pics of deer in the area because they will eventually hit it and once they do, they always come back for more! It is also fun to see how they grow over the summer. A few weeks ago I was out walking around and they had already been hitting where I had dumped it out the previous year (August of last year was the last time I put anything there). So, since they were already digging in the dirt and I had a bag in my truck I put some out. I figure it never hurts to help those antlers along any way I can!! I love it!

I originally placed my mineral sites in an open CRP field, but later rethought that and do not do that anymore. One, the summer sun would dry out those spots and make them rock hard and two, I don't want to encourage deer to spend time in the open when I don't have to.

I now look for spots adjacent to normal summer use trails and will go out of my way to find moist or damp areas with good overhead foliage cover. These spots are "darker" and seem to be more secure for the deer.

Also, I don't know about your regs in Canuckville
grin.gif
but I purposely place my mineral sites at least 100 yards away from any intended stand site. In my experience the deer hammer these sites from about March to August, but use drops off after that. Even so, I don't want to eventually shoot a hog and have someone be able to say he was baited.

a buddy of mine cleared a 40 yard area, (circle) right off the deer trail . put in a small food plot, and a lick in the middle. then trail cam over looking the lick. got some great pic`s , deer and turkey.
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I now look for spots adjacent to normal summer use trails and will go out of my way to find moist or damp areas with good overhead foliage cover. These spots are "darker" and seem to be more secure for the deer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice...and they'll dig a "pond" for you while their at it!
grin.gif

SpringMineralLick.jpg

I try to avoid starting a lick in a creek bottom with sandy soils ... I prefer to find more clay soils.

Simply dump your mineral lick product on the ground along a good deer trail and let the deer do the rest.

[ QUOTE ]
I try to avoid starting a lick in a creek bottom with sandy soils

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I assume they'll leach away quicker in sandy soil. Doesn't really matter I guess, everywhere I hunt is ...sandy. Will this just mean more top ups of the minerals.?

I agree on the idea of avoiding sandy soil, although I did not specify in my first post, my sites have a clay base to them and resemble Dbltree's in that they hold water for awhile after a hard rain.

Also, strategize on your mineral site location related to where you can put your game camera. In other words, pick a spot near a fencepost or suitable tree and have it face away from the setting or rising sun to avoid false photos triggered by the sun, etc.

I think the minerals will leach through sand rather readily, so you might have to replenish more frequently. Either that or experiment with burying a plastic tub flush with the ground?

[ QUOTE ]
I think the minerals will leach through sand rather readily, so you might have to replenish more frequently. Either that or experiment with burying a plastic tub flush with the ground?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's mostly the salt that they crave and it's water soluble.

Kaare, I've heard you talk about a lot of water after the snow melts is some of your shed hunting spots. I would look for a higher spot near a bedding area so you don't have to re-establish your sites every year. Its not like your deer need any help with antler growth in your neck of the woods anyway.
grin.gif

This is a lick in heavy clay...they eat it of course but as mentioned, they are attracted to the salt which leaches into the ground.

Often they seem to eat more of it if they can eat dirt and all...and this clay site doesn't get nearly as much eaten as the softer damp soils:

Claybaseminerallick.jpg

Im am surely a novice compared to 90% on this site. But here is my .02 worth.

I have always put mine, in the woods in a high traffic area. Always on flat soil and I try to find a stump or root mass to put it on. Seems that the wood may absorb some of the minerals and the deer will chew on the wood. May hold some mineral longer than the dirt may.
Hope this helps.

Dean

One last ? guys...thanks for all the replies. When I put it out this weekend, do I just dunp it and let nature take its course or do I mix it in with the soil somewhat??? I'm not doing it for antler growth so much as for trail cam opportunities in velvet, thanks again guys.
Kaare

A lot of people mix it with the soil. If you throw it on top of the ground, they will start at the edges where the rain washes it into the soil.

Sandy soils have to be hard on teeth, don't they???

Top Bottom