Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

MINERAL TO PUT OUT NOW…

Agreed. I will start adding garlic in early summer to potentially stave off EHD midges...

Question for smaller property owners/hunters like myself. (1) If this new law passes and you must hunt 200+ yards from a mineral site, is there a way to feed mineral without it leaching into the soil? Would deer eat out of a plastic cattle trough? And (2) if a mineral site is already established, how could one "remove" it? Fill it in? Cover it? I once heard Josh Bowmar (not a fan, but still) say that he covers his feed sites with a pallet and tarp and that made it "legal". Thoughts?
I covered one up with tin siding off an old roof during the fall and winter hunting seasons. Easy and can be used for years.

Thoughts on Nutrena brand, no purina near me. As long as the Phos is at or very near 8% is this likely very similar to the ones you have referenced?

07177baacacda25d99b5cebddfeafa70.jpg

This year, we put out 4 mineral spots on our 400 acres. We used Skips formulae — 8% phosphorus (2 50 lb bags of Purina), ~30lbs dry molasses mixed plus some garlic. We put them in flat plastic tubs in high deer traffic areas. The mix should have been nearly the same for each spot. Put it out on Feb. 8.

I checked all of them yesterday:
- 1 nearly gone (95%)
- 2 are about half gone
- 1 is barely touched

Anyone else see this kind of disparity of usage.

Last year, I mixed salt instead of molasses, and it seemed to be hit harder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This year, we put out 4 mineral spots on our 400 acres. We used Skips formulae — 8% phosphorus (2 50 lb bags of Purina), ~30lbs dry molasses mixed plus some garlic. We put them in flat plastic tubs in high deer traffic areas. The mix should have been nearly the same for each spot. Put it out on Feb. 8.

- 1 nearly gone (95%)
- 2 are about half gone
- 1 is barely touched

Different parts of my farm get hit way harder than others.
If new to it at all…. Add very little garlic & more salt/molasses to start. They get used to it & then u can increase rates of garlic a bit or whatever - they will pound it. Get em used to it!! Even adding a bit of cracked corn if u wanted to really try to get their faces in it and try it. Every spot of mine- they destroy it. But some spots it’s like a bag every 2 weeks and others every 1.5 months - everything in between.

- 1 nearly gone (95%)
- 2 are about half gone
- 1 is barely touched

Probably had more to do with location than anything.

Question- was that 100# purina mineral + 30# molasses at each, or was that a total split 4 ways?

I just bought some Purina Rangeland Pro. I got it, but the person at the co op said Purina is discontinuing the Rangeland Pro. Sounds like the wind & rain is replacing it. The wind & rain sounds more like a pellet. Any thoughts on what to use if that goes discontinued?

I just bought some Purina Rangeland Pro. I got it, but the person at the co op said Purina is discontinuing the Rangeland Pro. Sounds like the wind & rain is replacing it. The wind & rain sounds more like a pellet. Any thoughts on what to use if that goes discontinued?
Probably be fine. Mix like 5 lbs of molasses to it and that would insure they will pound it. If it’s 8% or more phosphorus- ur set.

Top Bottom