Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Missed my target buck

joey11b

Haven't posted on here very often but after numerous days of watching my target buck move in and out of his bedding area I finally positioned myself to get a shot.
Two days ago I went in around 2pm so I had time to check wind and get myself set up in a ground blind position. Around 550 pm I watched one of two target bucks I'm after stand up 70 yard from me- not realizing I was sitting on his/their bedding area. I watched him move back and forth checking wind and scanning. Mind you he is a 160+ buck. I set the video camera up and positioned myself for a sitting ground shot- anyone that bow hunts knows the challenges of this. Just before dark he started towards me and stepped into range (41 yard) but at a poor position. Facing me 1/4 turned to the left- I opted to not take the shot due to the high grass in front of him. He rubbed a few trees and walked off. Bummed that I didn't take the shot, I planned my next shot at him.
Tonight I got out of work late -430pm- got home and raced to get into the woods. Sitting in the same spot as I was previously, I wasn't there 40 minutes and heard a splash in the creek 15 feet to my rear- small 8 moving down the creek and crossed right in front of me- as I video taped him (chili-the name I gave my target buck) followed behind 10 minutes.
He came out and I picked my shot location- he stepped into my target zone and I release... Luminock blazing... I watched the arrow fly which seemed to take forever- about 3 feet from a great shot it hit a briar and veered downward at a 45 degree angle and hit directly behind him. I was floored, trying to figure out what I did wrong. He was right at 30 yards, broad side.
He didn't run only walked back the same direction he came and disappeared. Being state land and grassland protected, I can't clear shooting paths and there are no trees for my to get off the ground. I know I could go in tomorrow and see him- any thoughts on what I did wrong or what I should do besides stomping the 4ft high grass down and leaving scent all over the area?

If you're confident both bucks are still unaware of your presence, I wouldn't change a thing. Messing with the grass may have negative impact, I wouldn't do it and just be careful about shot selection. Bide your time and hopefully it will happen.

I agree with Lyon.

Shoot your bow to make sure it's all still on and rebuild you're confidence in it. If your not using fixed blades consider it. In my mind a fix blade might not be as badly effected by the odd blade of grass you miss. Good Luck.

I missed m y target buck Wednesday night it was still legal shooting hours but pretty dark could not see my pin that well.I shot right under him he was at 35 yards he heard the arrow whack then ran back to where he came from.I think he will stay in the area I don't believe he knew of my presence at all.

I agree with Lyon. Shoot your bow to make sure it's all still on and rebuild you're confidence in it. If your not using fixed blades consider it. In my mind a fix blade might not be as badly effected by the odd blade of grass you miss. Good Luck.

Checked it this morning, site is still spot on and I use muzzy fixed, hence my slight loss for words when my arrow was effected so badly. Thanks for the advice!

If you're positive you'll have a shot in grass you can drop your poundage down so you have more of an arc when you shoot. Guys do this at times out west so the arrow drops down at the last second. This doesn't serve you well in the timber situations at all though. If they weren't spooked too bad I would think they would be back.

Keep at it if you are on his pattern, since it will probably change when rut gets going hard. I missed my target buck last year at 35 yds. (dropped arm during shot and went just underneath him) during last week of October. He trotted off a bit and continued to check does and I even watched him work a scrape, so he didn't like the sound but was not aware of my presence. Was bummed out (as many of you know feeling after miss) but continued hunting him and others on my target list. Well, on November 8th, it was a strong wind and really cold morning., thought about saying the heck with it and going home but didn't. After swinging and swaying for hours he came through searching. He was only the 3rd deer I had seen that morning. I stuck him about 10:30 a.m.. Waited about an hour, got down and had good blood on the arrow, followed about 250 yds. where he had piled up. So hang in there, shoot some again to rebuild confidence as others have said, and keep after Chili. Best of luck!

Top Bottom