Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

MN passed crossbows & HOW IT GOT THROUGH!

Is it a floating tag scenario or multiple buck tags per person?
1 buck tag ! But the problem is MN allows party hunting for archery, gun and muzzy . So you can shoot a buck and then still hunt and tag another one later in the year with someone’s tag — and that happens.

Last edited:
1 buck tag ! But the problem is MN allows party hunting for archery, gun and muzzy . Do you can shoot a buck and then still hunt and tag another one later in the year with someone’s tag — and that happens.
I didn't realize you were a 1 buck state. That has to at least somewhat limit the negative effect of crossbows doesn't it? Unlike Iowa, where the gun only hunters could pick up a crossbow and get an additional buck in the same scenario.

This article has been shared on several iowa bowhunter facebook pages in the last day or two.

There is strong support in both for and against xbows on from what I see.

The main responses I see people posting about in favor of Xbows:

-'My young child can't draw back a regular compound bow yet, i think they should be able to use a xbow'. My thought is if young kid is not strong enough yet to pull back a bow then use a firearm that is already legal until they are old enough to practice and become effective with a bow. Or maybe the 5,6, 7, etc year old maybe shouldnt need to hunt yet. Idk about you guys, but I dont remember much from when I was that young, would i have remembered shoot deer at that age, I dont know, but im willing to bet I wasnt mature enough to even understand what was going on or what I did. At what age is to young to take a child hunting? I saw someone else post it in another thread I think, but I agree and sorry if it ruffles feathers, but seeing such young kids that can barely even hold up the weapon they are hunting with just seems odd to see them hunting sitting behind an animal they just killed. Is it more for the kid or for the parent at that age? I think if youth start using xbows the next thing down the line in a few years is those youth getting older and and then being upset they cannot continue to use a xbow once they are to old to hunt on a youth tag and then more push to add xbows to the regular archery season. Or the parents or other hunters saying well if youth can use a xbow why can't I and that same push to open it up during regular archery season happening.

-'Xbows will be more efficient and few wounded deer. I disagree a with this'. There are still going to be wounded deer. It doesn’t matter what weapon people have there are going to be people pushing their own personal effective range likely a little beyond their ability whether it be a traditional bow, a compound, a shotgun, muzzleloader etc. If someone is confident in their compound out to 20 yards feeling 100% they are effective, but then there be a deer at 25-30 etc there are going to be people that are going to roll the dice and take a shot that they know they may likely wound that animal. It’s the same thing with a xbow, if they are accurate to whatever yardage etc there are going to be people that are going to take a poke at a longer distance. Xbows shoot faster too, so I bet there will be people that are going to try and thread the needle or try to force something through some brush etc that normally wouldn’t.

Im not feeling optimistic that the majority of hunters in IA would be against xbows if it was put up to a vote. I think there are just simply to many people that just say why not and dont think about the implications.

This article has been shared on several iowa bowhunter facebook pages in the last day or two.

-'My young child can't draw back a regular compound bow yet, i think they should be able to use a xbow'. My thought is if young kid is not strong enough yet to pull back a bow then use a firearm that is already legal until they are old enough to practice and become effective with a bow. Or maybe the 5,6, 7, etc year old maybe shouldnt need to hunt yet. Idk about you guys, but I dont remember much from when I was that young, would i have remembered shoot deer at that age, I dont know, but im willing to bet I wasnt mature enough to even understand what was going on or what I did. At what age is to young to take a child hunting? I saw someone else post it in another thread I think, but I agree and sorry if it ruffles feathers, but seeing such young kids that can barely even hold up the weapon they are hunting with just seems odd to see them hunting sitting behind an animal they just killed. Is it more for the kid or for the parent at that age? I think if youth start using xbows the next thing down the line in a few years is those youth getting older and and then being upset they cannot continue to use a xbow once they are to old to hunt on a youth tag and then more push to add xbows to the regular archery season. Or the parents or other hunters saying well if youth can use a xbow why can't I and that same push to open it up during regular archery season happening.

-'Xbows will be more efficient and few wounded deer. I disagree a with this'. There are still going to be wounded deer. It doesn’t matter what weapon people have there are going to be people pushing their own personal effective range likely a little beyond their ability whether it be a traditional bow, a compound, a shotgun, muzzleloader etc. If someone is confident in their compound out to 20 yards feeling 100% they are effective, but then there be a deer at 25-30 etc there are going to be people that are going to roll the dice and take a shot that they know they may likely wound that animal. It’s the same thing with a xbow, if they are accurate to whatever yardage etc there are going to be people that are going to take a poke at a longer distance. Xbows shoot faster too, so I bet there will be people that are going to try and thread the needle or try to force something through some brush etc that normally wouldn’t.

Im not feeling optimistic that the majority of hunters in IA would be against xbows if it was put up to a vote. I think there are just simply to many people that just say why not and dont think about the implications.
I personally do not bow hunt and likely never will. I don't have the time or desire to become proficient in using a bow. However, I would definitely feel confident with a cross bow and very likely would obtain an additional tag even if I only go out a day or two. I'm certainly not alone. Iowa already has enough seasons and enough options

Ya also read that on the stay in the middle of the road FB page!
This state and all the other states have boat loads of people that don’t care or like you said have no idea on the implications or just want to take the easy road!!!
It’s very mind boggling and scary on what Iowa is up against in the future!
I hope Skips and others plans on how to stop this stuff will be enough! Waiting on more details on these actions

This state and all the other states have boat loads of people that don’t care or like you said have no idea on the implications or just want to take the easy road!!!
I hope Skips and others plans on how to stop this stuff will be enough! Waiting on more details on these actions

Maybe lawmakers would understand this analogy when it comes to maintaining the quality of the deer herd.

Iowa has some of the best soil in America for growing corn, how about we go corn on corn on corn each year and simultaneously not add lime, phosphorus, or nitrogen back into the soil. You know, totally mismanage the resource. Surely there will be no decline.

We could even get quaker, general mills, POET and the other ethanol refiners to lobby for requiring corn on corn. The surplus generated will decrease corn prices helping out their bottom line with cereal and ethanol production.

In five years, the soil is wrecked, Iowa is no longer a leader in corn production and the whole state suffers, but those initial short term years of prosperity would be worth it right?

Another one, they are very opposed to selling our water aquifer supplies to out of state interests, so why do they feel the need to increase tags for our of state hunters or allow NRLO to receive tags

Exactly. I want to ask some of these people where does it end. Where is the line in the sand for them when they say no more? Next they will want firearms in the rut, because all our surrounding states do, why can't we? And even for those states that already have xbows and firearms in the the rut, what is next for them, what additional advantage is to make things easier is next? Maybe we need a spring deer season or be able to use thermals for deer, we can for coyotes why not deer? Just rambling, but where does it end?

Top Bottom