Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Moon and the rut

Not going to argue, next year during the full moon I'm just going to sit at home on the couch. Thanks for the enlightenment!

Considering road kill does that were checked for fetus size have the same average yearly dates every year in MO.....

I have a hard time following Dr Dough, I mean Dr Deer, his institute for whitetail research is a 200 acre high fence ranch

I personally think it is all nonsense. The timing of the rut has not changed in the 20 years I have hunted them. It is all girl locker room chitter chatter. Got to sell magazines some how.

I personally think it is all nonsense. The timing of the rut has not changed in the 20 years I have hunted them. It is all girl locker room chitter chatter. Got to sell magazines some how.

I tend to agree with you. I take the same time off every year regardless of what the moon phase is. I do think it may affect what hours the deer are most active...to a certain degree. That said, I worry about the temperature more than anything.

Did u even read the article?

Sure and below is some pure BS from it:
"Even relatively “new” whitetail areas in Iowa and Oklahoma now are having some issues as a result of high deer numbers."

Maybe that was true a few years ago, not now.

"When there’s inadequate nutrition"

Even with a drought, Iowa's ag base is more than adequate, plus all the foodplots.

"Another significant variable is that many whitetails now live in areas far different from those in which their ancestors did. This is largely a result of years of restocking efforts during the 20th century."

Iowa has always had the same "variety" of deer through current times (since hunting seasons were reopened in the 1950's), so this in no way explains any "changes" one claims to be seeing in the rut now versus 10, 20, 30 years ago.

What Liv said. ;)

"Deer have a built-in timing mechanism that compensates for years in which the full moon happens to occur too far from the “preferred” time to breed, but there’s a limit to the flexibility. It’s much like an elastic band that can stretch only so far before it breaks. So when the full moon falls too far outside the norm, the rut seems to be off."

So the moon triggers the rut, but only so much on some years depending on where the moon falls?? Seems logical to me...

It amazes me how many are smarter than the top researchers in the country?

I don't think anybody is claiming to be "smarter than the top researchers", but a hefty dose of skepticism is not a bad thing. ;)

I don't believe you can write a "one size fits all" article about a "national whitetail rut problem", no matter your credentials.

I do believe the moon has an effect, but if the author throws in some "facts" that aren't, it erodes my opinion of their views.

Top Bottom